Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having hardware issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
HP Recommended
ENVY Desktop TE01-0150xt
Microsoft Windows 11

The DVD drive in this PC is suddenly unable to detect/play DVDs. It still works with music & data CDs, but not DVDs. I've applied all outstanding updates, both recommended and optional. I ran the BIOS diagnostics and it found no problems. I even deleted the driver from Device Manager and reinstalled it automatically. No change.

This PC is little over a year old. Any ideas/suggestions, etc.? Thank you in advance. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

From what you are describing, the DVD laser may need to be cleaned or has failed.

DVD drives have two lasers with different focal lengths.

One laser reads CD's and the other reads DVD's.

If cleaning the lenses doesn't resolve the problem, you may want to consider replacing the drive.

How does one test or check DVD laser? | Electronics Forums (maker.pro)

Below is the link to the parts list for your PC.

HP PartSurfer

It appears the optical drive part number you need is:

853885-800
DVD - GNRC, ODD DVDSM 9.5 Slim Tray RAZR

You probably have to take some parts off the drive such as the bezel and mounting hardware.

Below is the link to the service teardown video.

Removing & Replacing Parts | HP ENVY Desktop TE01-000 | HP Computer Service | @HPSupport - YouTube

You should be able to find one on eBay in tested and working condition.

Search by the HP part number.

853885-800 for sale | eBay

HP Recommended

Hi Paul.

Thank you for your response. I will look into cleaning the drive and see if that helps. If not, then I guess I'll have to replace the drive. I'll get back to you and let you know what happens. Thanks again. 😊

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.