Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion 550-270na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My optical drive will play audio CDs and load programs, but will not play DVD movies - the DVD starts to load and eventually will show the title of the movie and then jerks from frame to frame.  The drive has been replaced, but with the same problem and a long session with a very helpful technician at HP Support did not resolve the issue.   A new drive is on the way to try again - not hopeful.  However, an external DVD drive works via a USB connection.  Anyone else experienced this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you to replace the drive and check if it resolves the issue or try a different player as suggested. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings @Mike_K45

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I see you are unable to play DVD on your computer. Happy to help. 

May I know the troubleshooting steps tried?

Which media player as you using to watch the DVD?

Have you tried any 3rd party media players like VLC?

Recommend you to check the disc for scratches, logging off the internet, disconnecting any external devices while playing the disc and check. 

For other troubleshooting steps, please refer to this article for assistance. 

Also, make sure all the drivers and software are updated by using HP Support Assistant.

You can also refer to these below articles for assistance.

HP PCs - Drive Cannot Read Discs (Windows 10, 😎

HP PCs - Resolving DVD and Blu-ray Movie Problems (Windows 10, 😎

Let me know if this helped. 

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I havebeen through all the steps, including having the drive replaced by HP.  External optical drive does work, so it would seem to eliminate a software problem.  Any thoughts on shecking the wiring within the desktop?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, recommend you to replace the drive and check if it resolves the issue or try a different player as suggested. 

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.