Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Envy 750-114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

From the beginning, my DVDRW is not recognized and does not show up in the drive list.  However, it shows up in the device list and indicates that "this device is working properly".   There have been a few times when I absolutely had to use the drive and I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it which allowed me to use it (and it showed up) ONE TIME.  This doesn't always work though.  This issue isn't due to an upgrade from windows 7 or 8, unless this computer had a lower version and was upgraded before being shipped.  Or, if a disk was made from an upgraded PC and used to install Windows 10 on many PCs (that would sure tick me off).  I am so frustrated I could pull my hair out.  I have been to the Microsoft forums and this is a common problem with other brands of PCs that have Windows 10, but not limited to that version.  There are many "solutions" which other posters say don't work.  I am so afraid to go into my registry and start messing with stuff in there.  PLEASE, someone provide a solution or upgrade that will take care of this issue! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@faith552, welcome to the forum.

Here is a Firmware update for the DVD Disk Drive.  You can install it to see if that solves your problem.  Also, go into the Device Manager / right click on your DVD drive / select Update Driver Software / Search for updated driver software.  If there is an updated driver it will be found and installed.  I use this procedure at least once per month for all of my drivers.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@faith552, welcome to the forum.

Here is a Firmware update for the DVD Disk Drive.  You can install it to see if that solves your problem.  Also, go into the Device Manager / right click on your DVD drive / select Update Driver Software / Search for updated driver software.  If there is an updated driver it will be found and installed.  I use this procedure at least once per month for all of my drivers.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

old_geekster

thank you so much.  yesterday before posting I did click on update driver (and it said I had the latest), but honestly I don't know if that's the same thing as a firmware update.  I installed the update tried it, but it didn't work so I restarted my pc and it works now.  You don't know the frustration that I've endured with this issue! lol  Thanks again!

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @faith552.  It is my pleasure.

Yes, I do know the frustrations that you endured.  This is why I am here and have been since 2002.  I, to this day, can remember the frustrations that I felt before my first visit to the Forums way back then.

HP Recommended

@old_geekster wrote:

You are very welcome, @faith552.  It is my pleasure.

Yes, I do know the frustrations that you endured.  This is why I am here and have been since 2002.  I, to this day, can remember the frustrations that I felt before my first visit to the Forums way back then.

@old_geekster... the strangest thing has happened.  after working for a few times and then as I was ripping some .cda to .wma files with windows media player, the dvdrw drive disappeared again.  after much tinkering, i figured out that if i go to control panel>device manager>dvd/cd rom drives>click on the dvd device>right click>properties, then it immediately comes to life and appears on the drive list.  i guess i'm willing to live with it like that, but if you have any ideas that are simple for a simple gal, i'd appreciate it if you'd give me some other pointers.  like i said, i'm willing to live with it like it is, but it would be much nicer if the drive came to life when i insert a dvd/cd!  in my heart, i know this is a windows 10 issue and still hope they will provide a fix some day in their (no-choice) updates.

HP Recommended

I believe that you are correct that it is a Win 10 problem.  If it were me, I would go into the Device Manager and uninstall the drive and reinstall it.  Use the method that I provided in my previous post to reinstall the driver.  This may solve your problem for good!  I wish that I could give you a guaranty, but I am not that good. :Wink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.