Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 Base Model Convertible Minitower PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried to play a DVD for the first time ever on this Desktop PC upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10.
It won't work. 

I went to Windows Media player and it doesn't seem to offer the ability of playing a DVD from the DVD Drive.

I looked under the HP title on my Start Menu to find the HP Media Player that I remember having in Win 7.

Not there.  

Clicked on Desktop HP Support Assistant, which took so long to come on, that I lost interest and just "knew" that my problems had to do with the most recent so-called "upgrade" from Microsoft.  I have had nothing but major problems on both this HP Desktop PC and my HP Laptop.  Major problems on the laptop, but that is an issue for another day.

What do I have to do to play a DVD ?

Open mind Pure intent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Windows 7 came with built in DVD playing software so normally Windows Media Player worked without additional software.

W10 does not come with built in DVD playing software...something to do with Microsoft not wanting to pay royalties to the folks that own the DVD playing codecs.

Normally, what most folks do is to download and install the free VLC DVD playing software from the Microsoft Store.

Open the Microsoft Store app and do a search for VLC.  You will get two different programs.  

The one you want is shown in my screenshot below.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1655232612647.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Windows 7 came with built in DVD playing software so normally Windows Media Player worked without additional software.

W10 does not come with built in DVD playing software...something to do with Microsoft not wanting to pay royalties to the folks that own the DVD playing codecs.

Normally, what most folks do is to download and install the free VLC DVD playing software from the Microsoft Store.

Open the Microsoft Store app and do a search for VLC.  You will get two different programs.  

The one you want is shown in my screenshot below.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1655232612647.png

HP Recommended

Hi Paul!!

What a pleasant surprise!

Didn't expect to see your here on such a different topic!

I guess I will have to suppress my annoyance  at Microsoft and go to their store and download the app you gave me.

Thank you.

Grateful,

Taylor

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Taylor.

You may still be able to use Windows Media Player to play DVD's after you install the VLC media player.

In Windows 10, Windows Media player has been superseded by another app, but Windows 10 still has the media player.

If not, your DVD should play automatically with the VLC player.

You can find the Windows Media Player by clicking on the Windows icon on the lower left side of your taskbar>programs list>Windows Accessories>Windows Media Player.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1655233640023.png

HP Recommended

Hi again, Paul,

First, I need to tell you that the same thing happened  when I tried to go to Microsoft Store, as happened on my laptop.  I cannot access the store.  On the laptop it kept saying I needed an app to access the store.  I jumped through so many hoops with Microsoft support and since I really have never used, or wanted to use the MS Store, I had no reference points.  Nothing worked.

Later, after several hours of reading & searching, I found a tech Geek who gave instructions on how to reinstall MS Store or uninstall and reinstall, not sure which, because I have just been too tired, (or lacked the will) to launch another attempt at fixing what I don't want to have to fix, because I dislike Microsoft so much.  Many, many reasons that I won't go into here.

I know your information will work, that is why I accepted as a solution.  I just don't feel well enough to try to fix the store first to then go try it.

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

Hi:

Is seems that sometimes nothing ever comes easy.

All you need is a simple program to allow you to play DVD's and you have to overcome all kinds of roadblocks thrown in your way.

Fortunately, you can also download the free VLC Player directly from their website.

Official download of VLC media player, the best Open Source player - VideoLAN

HP Recommended

I shouldn't say this before trying, but all the "downloads" I have tried recently have been suppressed by Microsoft saying that I need an app from their store to download Firefox, Brave Browser, all the social media platforms.  Yet I need a store app to go to the *^%#@% store!!

I am going to figure a way to "outfox" them one of these days. 

Thank you, again, for not giving up on me.  I am going to try your link now.

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

Yay Paul!!

It worked!! 

You saved me from having to kiss the arse of the company I hate!!

The Desktop did not suffer the same problems as the laptop, and it is the Laptop that I continue to get the "you need an app to access the store"

It is a perfectly good laptop that I really only saved a few pictures and watched 100's of videos.on.

I feel like just selling or giving it away to avoid the hassle.

I have been dealing with extreme chronic fatigue for over a year.

Makes me grumpy.

But, YOU.... now YOU are a lifesaver! 

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.