Lake_Girl
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Disappearing DVD on HP 24-F1047C

HP 24-F1047C All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I inserted a DVD in the drive.  When I clicked on the drive in Explorer it didn't show anything.  I opened the drive and there was no DVD!  How can I retrieve the lost DVD?  Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,983 9,957 405 473
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Lake_Girl

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?

I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8.

BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. 

Next step: delete upper and lower filter, 

1. Unplug all non-essential external plug and play devices, especially cameras. Then complete the following steps.
  2. In Windows, search for and open regedit.
  3. Select Computer in the main window.
  4. Click File, click Export, type a filename that is easy for you to remember, then click Save.
  5. A copy of the registry has been saved for back-up purposes to the Documents folder. If problems occur after using these steps, browse to the file and double-click it to restore the registry.
  6. Click the arrow next to each of the following items in the list:
  7. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  8. SYSTEM
  9. CurrentControlSet
  10. Control
  11. Class
  12. Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318. Make sure you have selected this exact key name.
  13. If a LowerFilters value is listed on the right side of the Registry Editor window, select the LowerFilters value and press the Delete key. Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.

If an UpperFilters value is also listed, select UpperFilters in the right side of the window and press the Delete key.
Confirm the deletion by clicking Yes.

Delete all other UpperFilters and LowerFilters values within the 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key if any exist.
Close the Registry Editor and restart the computer. The disc drive should now be recognized by Windows. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Lake_Girl
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response.  The system recognizes the drive but did not recognize that there was a DVD in the drive.  when I opened the drive again there was no DVD.  It is still somewhere in the unit.  I sent the unit to HP through the Costco Concierge service and they are looking into the problem.

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving!

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9,983 9,957 405 473
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Lake_Girl
Thank you for posting back. 

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation