Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I got a pc a few years ago and was wondering if there wasn't a second processor. By the way i didn't built the PC and the one who did can't help us.

This is the HP Z600 workstation, originally equipped with a quadro FX 1800 and an intel Xeon e5620 4 cores 2.4 Hz, I changed the GPU to be able to play a little (GTX 950).

The workstation has two processor slots, both closed with cooling. The processor has 4 cores and 8 threads but when I go to the device manager, processors, I see 16 processors ...

I don't know if I can safely remove the cooler so I'm asking you. I find it odd that there are 16 processors while the xeon has 8.

I know the Hp Z600 is oft sold with a dual xeon it's why i ask.

I send you screenshots.

Thanks for your answer.

1.png

2.png

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello
you have the  logic processors, so 8 for the 4-core processor.
So 8 and 8 16, this seems to confirm both indeed

unless I'm wrong, but for an i7: 6 cores 12 logic
in device manager you have 12 intel i7 references displayed

If you have two cooling systems, this confirms that you have two processors!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Okayy nice 😁

Thx for the answer.

Just so it's normal that i see only one processor in the ttask manager ? Is the other in working ?

HP Recommended

indeed, this is curious, but I have never seen an example of this type
I don't know how the manager should behave in this case

Maybe check with other software, but I'm not sure which one would do.
cpuz can be
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

please mark the answer if it suits anyway

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

 Hi, thx for answer.

i send you the screens of the app, i even tried few weeks ago an intel software and it didn't told me I had 2 processors.

Maybe it's working because i can play big games like battlefront II or rage 2 without problems with my processor. It's 10 years old and it works perfectly so maybe both of them are working. 

Capture d’écran 2021-02-22 234635.png

HP Recommended

Sorry, this is the first time I am faced with this type of request!
It's curious indeed, but I don't know how it should work
In the bios, do you have something?
I don't have time to search, but look at the documents here, you may find an answer
I tried a search yesterday, but I did not really know what to give in keywords, the google results did not bring me anything

https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/product/hp-z600-workstation/3718663/manuals

HP Workstations - Second Xeon Processor Installation

You can see here for example the installation of two processors.
it says how to check, but only not under w10

Also open System Info, it should be visible here, if you have both!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thx for your help.

I didn't find anything on the site and pdf but Don't worry.

I already search but maybe i didn't see what i wanted, maybe somewhere i can see on wich socket the processor is installed, if i can, then i will be able to confirm the fact that there is 8 processors on socket 0 and 8 on socket 1 so 2 processors. 

I will ask some help to the father of a friend, he's informatician, maybe he will know what to do.

HP Recommended

Sorry
give me news if you find anything
but in any case, you must see if the processor is in place.

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.