Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Desktop-Mini-PC (65 W)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does a HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Desktop-Mini-PC (65 W) support a core i7-7700 or a i7-7700T? Or is the fastest possible CPU the i7-6700 or i7-6700T as written for example in the Maintenance and Service Guide from October 2016. BIOS is new from May 11th, 2020 (02.47 Rev.A).

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

this usdt (ultra small Desktop PC) will only officially support 6th Gen  35 watt "T" suffix cpu's  that HP has approved

however, the  i7-7700(T) MIGHT work if the current bios has the necessary matching microcode

in other words if the 7700 uses the same microcode as the 6700 it most likely will work, but if the 7700 has different code it will most likely fail to boot

Available Processors

Intel® Core™ i7-6700T with Intel HD Graphics 530 (2.8 GHz, up to 3.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost, 8 MB cache, 4 cores);

Intel® Core™ i5-6600T with Intel HD Graphics 530 (2.7 GHz, up to 3.5 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost, 6 MB cache, 4 cores);

Intel® Core™ i5-6500T with Intel HD Graphics 530 (2.5 GHz, up to 3.1 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost, 6 MB cache, 4 cores);

Intel® Core™ i3-6300T with Intel HD Graphics 530 (3.3 GHz, 4 MB cache, 2 cores);

Intel® Pentium® G4500T with Intel HD Graphics 530 (3 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores);

Intel® Pentium® G4400T with Intel HD Graphics 510 (2.9 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores) 4

HP Recommended

65W should be possible since this mini pc's come in two versions: 35W version: Link and 65W version: Link.

I have the 65W one. Therefore the TDP should not be the problem. Currently I run the pc with a i5-6500 (no T) which also has a TDP of 65W.

So the question still is the BIOS support. How do I find out if the latest BIOS supports the Kaby Lake architecture? In particular the i7-7700(T)?

HP Recommended

you find out by trying it .........as i stated above

HP Recommended

Not the best advice. I do not buy this CPU without knowing upfront if it works. Someone must know if the BIOS supports it. At least someone from HP engineering. Anyway, thanks for your answers.

HP Recommended

it is the best advice your going to get since YOUR the one who wants it,....you get to try it!.... as it's not something most users would want to try/do as the possible performance increase will most likely be rather small

don't want to spend the money or time? to see if it works that's fine also..................

please don't ask HP to provide you with information on unsupported configurations,....it's not going to happen

HP has enough going on trying to provide support for the configs they have validated much less trying to support every  user with non validated hardware requests

HP Recommended

Hello
there is little chance that a processor other than those indicated will work
It would be unpleasant to buy an unsuitable one, and a significant risk of damaging the computer.
The best thing to do would be to ask a professional to test
otherwise you have a full listing here for the HP EliteDesk 800 G2 de 65 W

Processeurs

Spécifications
Description
Chipset
Intel Q170 PCH-H vPro
Carte graphique
Carte graphique Intel HD (intégrée au processeur)
Processeur Intel Core i7-6700
65 W
Jusqu'à 4,0 GHz max., fréquence Turbo (fréquence de base de 3,4 GHz)
8 Mo de mémoire cache, 4 cœurs, 8 fils
Carte graphique Intel HD 530
Prise en charge mémoire DDR4 jusqu'à 2133 MT/s
Prend en charge la technologie Intel vProTM et Intel Stable Image Platform programme (SIPP)
Processeur Intel Core i5-6600
65 W
Jusqu'à 3,9 GHz max., fréquence Turbo (fréquence de base de 3,3 GHz)
6 Mo de mémoire cache, 4 cœurs, 4 fils
Prend en charge la technologie Intel vProTM et Intel Stable Image Platform programme (SIPP)
Processeur Intel Core i5-6500
65 W
Jusqu'à 3,6 GHz max., fréquence Turbo (fréquence de base de 3,2 GHz)
6 Mo de mémoire cache, 4 cœurs, 4 fils
Processeur Intel Core i3-6320
65 W
Fréquence de base de 3,9 GHz
4 Mo de mémoire cache, 2 cœurs, 4 fils
Processeur Intel Core i3-6300
65 W
Fréquence de base de 3,8 GHz)
4 Mo de mémoire cache, 2 cœurs, 4 fils
Processeur Intel Core i3-6100
65 W
Fréquence de base de 3,7 GHz)
3 Mo de mémoire cache, 2 cœurs, 4 fils
Processeurs Intel Pentium G4520
65 W
Fréquence de base jusqu'à 3,6 GHz
3 Mo de mémoire cache, 2 cœurs, 2 fils
Processeurs Intel Pentium G4500
65 W
Fréquence de base jusqu'à 3,5 GHz
Processeurs Intel Pentium G4400
65 W
Fréquence de base jusqu'à 3,3 GHz
Carte graphique Intel HD 510
Processeurs Intel Celeron G3920
65 W
Fréquence de base jusqu'à 2,9 GHz
2 Mo de mémoire cache, 2 cœurs, 2 fils
Processeurs Intel Celeron G3900
65 W
Fréquence de base jusqu'à 2,9 GHz
2 Mo de mémoire cache, 2 cœurs, 2 fils

https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/product/hp-elitedesk-800-65w-g2-desktop-mini-pc/8741496/document/c04849...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04828077

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for your answer. In the meanwhile I found the tool MC Extractor which can extract the supported CPUIDs from the latest BIOS from here. See screenshot below. This shows only 506E2 up to revision 2C (could not find any information for this CPUID) and 506E3 up to reviston D6 (many i5 and i7 but not i7-7700 according CPU-World DB).

So I give up with i7-7700 😉

hp_bios.png

HP Recommended

sorry, i suspected that a little
You made the best decision

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.