Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite 8300 CMT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have W7-Pro-64 installed on a 1TB, (MBR Boot Drive).

I want to upgrade to a 4TB, (GPT Boot Drive).

I chose to do this via cloning.

My question is: does my Elite 8300 CMT support UEFI Boot Drives?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I look at it rather simply...

When you boot up your PC if it has the splash screen shown in the picture on page 5, it has a UEFI BIOS and should support booting from a GPT drive.

I don't have any 3 or 4 TB drives to test out on my 8200 Elite CMT, which has a UEFI BIOS, and has a BIOS splash screen as shown on page 5 of the document.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please read this whitepaper to determine if your PC supports UEFI boot drives. 

Your PC should support booting from a HDD in excess of 2 TB.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02826744

HP Recommended

That was a lot to digest / understand / interpret correctly.

What I got out of it was, maybe no one knows, just give it a try and keep your fingers crossed. 

HP Recommended

I look at it rather simply...

When you boot up your PC if it has the splash screen shown in the picture on page 5, it has a UEFI BIOS and should support booting from a GPT drive.

I don't have any 3 or 4 TB drives to test out on my 8200 Elite CMT, which has a UEFI BIOS, and has a BIOS splash screen as shown on page 5 of the document.

HP Recommended

I tried it several times just to make sure.

The Bios Screen goes by quickly but sadly, No HP Log.

Should I start a separate Post to ask what the next PC in the HP Series that would have Booting ability I need?

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thank you again for your advice!

I need to update / correct my last Post.

I ran Belarc and looked at it's report.

Sure enough, it reported my PC running in UEFI mode.

I tried the Restart process and sure enough, the HP Logo appeared as indicated in the Article.

I do not know how I missed it!

My PC is using a 4TB Drive as the Boot Drive but in 2TB MBR mode.

I do not know how to convert from MBR to GPT but will try an learn this weekend.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Here is how you can convert the drive from MBR to GPT during the Windows installation process...

Watch this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=f81qKAJUdKc&feature=emb_logo

How to Convert MBR to GPT During Windows 10/8/7 Installation. Sometimes, when you are trying to install Windows on your PC, "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI system, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks" error message pops up and
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.