Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp 690-0073w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade my SSD for my 690-0073w, the current one is a gen3 x 2 SSD, I couldn’t find any info of the spec of the m2 slot.

Could I benefit from upgrading to a gen3 x 4 SSD?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The x2 slot will mean that a x4 M.2 NVMe drive will run at half speed (the slot on the 690-0073w is 3x2). However consider that means a speed around 1.8 GB/s (depending on the M.2 make) which is still very fast and about 5.5 x faster than SATA. But it will mean that if you have a 3x2 SSD now then you won't see any boost in speed, depending on the SSD type you buy. Not all M.2 SSDs run at the same speed. I have seen some that top out at 1800 MB/s and others at 3500MB/s. So if your current drive is a slower model then a new M.2 drive running at a much faster rate, even at half speed, will still be an upgrade. I hope I did not confuse you with my beat around the bush answer.

HP Recommended

Thank you for helping out. Then I think I should get a 1800mb r/w nvme instead to save some cost.

HP Recommended

Glad I could be of some help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.