Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Solved!

Dual layer DVDs, second layer not read

HP Recommended
p5k0e3ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

The dvd drive (DVDRW DU8A6SH) in my desktop won't read dual layer dvds, or more precisely: it only reads the files (films) on the first layer. Is that a known error, or is this drive just not capable of handling dual layer dvds?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,809 5,043
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try the optical media on a known good PC and make sure that both sides can be read.

Run a full set of hardware diagnostics including the optical drive to ensure that your PC and optical drive are in working order.

Download and install Imgburn on your PC. Be sure to uncheck the "bloatware" box when installing Imgburn.

After installing Imgburn, insert your media and launch Imgburn then navigate to the drive capabilities.  See the below image.

Imgburn Drive Capabilities (2).jpg

Now you can check the drive's cababilities against the optical media type that you inserted.

You might need to reinstall the driver if you upgraded your PC to W10. First try uninstalling the existing driver then reboot. If no joy, then look through the Windows old files if you had upgraded to W10 and locate the driver.

You might get lucky at this site.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation