Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite 8000 Ultra-slim
Linux

I'm trying to upgrade the BIOS for my project and despite I chose FreeDOS as my OS the file I downloaded (sp73578.exe) complains it cannot be run in DOS mode. Where from can I get a DOS compatible BIOS upgrade file? Confused ...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Segfault

Format a USB flash drive with the FAT32 file system.

I have zipped up and attached the DOS file folder for sp73578 below.

Unzip the file and copy just the file contents of the DOS flash folder to your flash drive.

Restart the PC, tap the F10 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get access to the BIOS.

Select the File tab, Flash System Rom command.

Select the USB flash drive, and the PC should 'see' the BIOS update file on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Segfault,

You do realize that the HP 8000 is circa 2009.  With FreeDOS,  the BIOS can not be changed, according to HP's support page. Not sure (1) why or (2) what you were planning.  Never the less, your very limited.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for reply. Why on earth they tag it as a FreeDOS solution then? 

I need to boot it from USB and the current BIOS does not recognize this particular USB as a boot device. Current BIOS version is 1.02. I was told I need at least 1.03 for this USB image to boot.

So what can be done? I have a dozen of computers at my disposal but none runs Windows. 

Generally, if there is some software required for maintenence then the hardware manufacturer should provide this software. Is there a Windows OS download available from HP to flash the BIOS? Bootable from a removable media, please.

HP Recommended

if this is your system:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-compaq-8000-elite-small-form-factor-pc/4065894

download the win 7 32bit bios, sp49735

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp49501-50000/sp49735.exe

extract the sp using winzip, and use the extracted "DOS" folder to flash bios v1.07 under msdos

Description:

This package contains utilities that can be used to restore or update the 
system BIOS on the supported desktop models with a 786G7 BIOS.

Several methods for changing the BIOS version may be chosen. Included in this 
package are the following methods:

- Use the DOS utility with a preboot execution environment (PXE) management 
application or to locally update or restore the system BIOS.
- Use HPQFlash to upgrade the BIOS directly in a Microsoft Windows XP, 
Microsoft Windows Vista, or Microsoft Windows 7 environment.
- Create a CD image to upgrade/restore system BIOS.

HP Recommended

Thanks. I still don't get it. Why I have to go now and start searching for a Windows machine? Why they just don't zip it if it is for DOS? 

HP Recommended

huh?....... why do you think you need a windows system?

does your current OS not have a unzipping/extracting  program?

all you need to do is UNZIP/EXTRACT the Service pack, then copy the files found in the dos folder onto a dos formated usb key, boot from said key and run the bios update program.

HP Recommended

Yes I tried to unpack it, but ...

~/downloads $ file sp49735.exe sp49735.exe: PE32 executable (GUI) Intel 80386, for MS Windows 
~/downloads $ unzip sp49735.exe Archive: sp49735.exe End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on the last disk(s) of this archive. unzip: cannot find zipfile directory in one of sp49735.exe or sp49735.exe.zip, and cannot find sp49735.exe.ZIP, period.
HP Recommended

Hi, @Segfault

Format a USB flash drive with the FAT32 file system.

I have zipped up and attached the DOS file folder for sp73578 below.

Unzip the file and copy just the file contents of the DOS flash folder to your flash drive.

Restart the PC, tap the F10 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to get access to the BIOS.

Select the File tab, Flash System Rom command.

Select the USB flash drive, and the PC should 'see' the BIOS update file on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

HP Recommended

i just downloaded it and extracted the sp49735.exe using winRar, winZip 7-zip under windows and under DOS

so i don't know what is the problem at your end

you might want to download a newer version of your extraction program.

HP Recommended

Thanks! Will get on it.

Edit: Success!

@DGroves, this file identifies as a foreign executable, not as an archive. I fail to see the logic in your statement.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.