Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 6305 Pro
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer (an HP 6305 Pro) has given me two BSOD's reading "Your PC has encountered a problem and needs to restart", followed by a forced restart. It also froze up once, which I believe may be related to the same error. The DMP files after both of the two crashes declared to the problem to be error 0x00000124, specified hal.dll, and also always implicated Opera browser.

For more information, you can read this thread that I've posted about it at TenForums:

"Your PC encountered a problem and needs to restart." - Round 2. - TenForums

I've run a battery of tests on my hardware (MemTest86, Prime95, Furmark, Western Digital Data Lifeguard, CHKDSK, Scannow, etc), all without incident or error. I find it hard to believe at this point that the problem is purely hardware-related. I have received suggestions that I update my BIOS (as an outdated BIOS apparently might be the source of the problem), but I'm afraid to do this, as I'm afraid that it runs the risk of messing up my system to the point of making my computer unbootable. That said, now that this error has struck again, I believe that it is in my best interests to gather more information about updating my BIOS, and perhaps go through with an update if the information that I receive indicates that it would be most prudent to do so, and I also receive satisfactory information on how to update my BIOS safely.

As far as I can tell, this is the correct installer to use to update my BIOS (please correct me if I'm wrong):

ROM Firmware for King Cobras 6305 DT (K06)

My questions are as follows:

1. What is the likelihood that my crashes could have been caused by problems originating or exacerbated by an out-of-date BIOS? (My current BIOS version is apparently "Hewlett-Packard K06 v02.04, 9/26/2012", based on what System Information says.)

2. Do the possible benefits to updating my BIOS outweigh the risks?

3. What is the entire proper procedure for updating my BIOS, and what is everything in general that I would need to know in order to safely update my BIOS? Also, would there be any need for me to configure any BIOS settings, and if so, what is the difficulty level, how should I perform the configuration, and what are the best settings?

4. What to do if my computer won't boot after a BIOS update?

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello

1. Don't believe BIOS is problem.

2. You can update BIOS but don't believe this action will solve problem.

3. There are two different 6305 Pro models. Here is the detail on BIOS update for one of them. It is a security update. So I don't think this update will fix problem. Also looked at other PC option using HP 6305 Pro and found BIOS update for security only.

If Opera is indicated when BSOD occurs I suggest you remove browser from PC and use a different browser. See what happens.

Don't think a BIOS update will fix your problem. It seems to be software related.

4. Some HP PC's have BIOS recovery option, your PC may not.

Grzy

HP Recommended

3. There are two different 6305 Pro models. Here is the detail on BIOS update for one of them. It is a security update. So I don't think this update will fix problem. Also looked at other PC option using HP 6305 Pro and found BIOS update for security only.

If Opera is indicated when BSOD occurs I suggest you remove browser from PC and use a different browser. See what happens.

Don't think a BIOS update will fix your problem. It seems to be software related.

Regarding point #3, I think you're overlooking something. If you look at the Revision History tab, you will see that there have been quite a few updates since the version of BIOS that my computer currently has was released (2012), some of which are for things other than security updates. So the latest upgrade presumably includes all of those upgrades as well. Is this correct? Also, how can I tell which version of the HP 6305 Pro I have and thus the correct version of BIOS for it?

Are you very familiar with error 0x00000124? I've read that it is generally hardware-related in some way. Do you believe that a purely software problem (such as a faulty browser) could cause it without an underlying hardware or BIOS issue?

HP Recommended

Hello

Look for a product number on the PC. That should give you direction.

Well, then do the BIOS update.

There are two models. Which one do you have?

You said Opera was indicated. Start on that premise and work from software to hardware.

Have you run any hardware diagnostics at boot on the system?

Grzy

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz wrote:

Hello

Look for a product number on the PC. That should give you direction.

Well, then do the BIOS update.

There are two models. Which one do you have?

You said Opera was indicated. Start on that premise and work from software to hardware.

Have you run any hardware diagnostics at boot on the system?

Grzy

I'll have to figure out which model I have later (I should be able to find out tomorrow).

In general, do you think that the risks or the possible benefits of updating the BIOS are greater?

By "Start on that premise and work from software to hardware", do you mean that it's wisest to try software solutions (such as switching browsers) first, then resort of more drastic solutions (such as updating the BIOS) only if that fails?

I've run a number of hardware diagnostics, some of them (such as MemTest and CHKDSK) at boot.

HP Recommended

Hello

I gave you a link to HP specific hardware tests.

There is no reason to not upgrade the BIOS on your PC if cumulative revisions give enhanced features or fixes to known problems. I am stating that none of the fixes included in the BIOS updates cite your problem.

So the BIOS update is not relevant to your current issue.

Yes, try a different browser. Try different anti-virus software. Try Windows Defender.

You upgraded to Windows 10?

I just built a custom system and had a similar issue. It was a slow pain staking process to solve the problem. Kaspersky AV would not play nice with my build. I have no logical reason why.

I am now running Norton A-V with no problems.

I upgraded the BIOS and reinstalled the OS three times and was very careful with chipset, storage, and network drivers. The same bad stuff happened until  I focused on the AV software.

Kaspersky was driving Chrome, and Opera, and Firefox crazy. Only IE would run reasonably well.

I thought I had a hardware problem since this crazy stuff was happening on Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro. The OS installs were isolated on seperate SSD's, no common boot loader.

Your problem is not easy to identify and fix.

Grzy

HP Recommended

I'll try running those HP-specific hardware tests when I have the time.

By the way, you said that there are two different versions of the HP 6305 Pro, with different BIOS versions. I've only been able to find one on the HP website. Could you please give me links to both so I can tell which is which?

"There is no reason to not upgrade the BIOS on your PC if cumulative revisions give enhanced features or fixes to known problems. I am stating that none of the fixes included in the BIOS updates cite your problem.

So the BIOS update is not relevant to your current issue."

What about this?

"Version:2.57 Rev.A (10 Sep 2013)

Enhancements
-Added support for AMD Richland Processors.
-Added support for DASH remote management.
-Optimize memory settings to improve the reliability of the memory system.
"

Might the memory setting optimization possibly have a beneficial effect?

Speaking of which, could the fact that my two RAM sticks have different speeds be the reason for this problem? Please read the post linked to below. It's a from a Ten Forums user who suggested that this might be the issue. Can you confirm whether such a problem can be caused by having such differences between RAM sticks?

"Yes, try a different browser."

I'm now inclined to believe that Opera may not be the main culprit. The latest DMP file didn't cite Opera as the process involved in the crash (unlike the DMP file after the first crash, which did cite Opera). See the Ten Forums link above for more details.

"You upgraded to Windows 10?"

My computer (refurbished) came with Windows 10, but I believe that the refurbishers probably upgraded a Windows 7 installation to Windows 10.

"I just built a custom system and had a similar issue. It was a slow pain staking process to solve the problem. Kaspersky AV would not play nice with my build. I have no logical reason why.

I am now running Norton A-V with no problems.

I upgraded the BIOS and reinstalled the OS three times and was very careful with chipset, storage, and network drivers. The same bad stuff happened until  I focused on the AV software."

That's very interesting. What was the exact error that you got? Was it 0x00000124 or some such hardware-specific error?

"Try different anti-virus software. Try Windows Defender."

Bitdefender does often use a lot of my system resources, although it seems to be an excellent program otherwise. I've been rather reluctant to uninstall it, as I paid for a year's subscription to BitDefender Total Security. That said, I could reinstall it later. I'm just very worried about catching a virus while it would be uninstalled. 

You see, my previous computer (also an HP) developed a debilitating problem in which its hard drive would lock up at random intervals. My local computer shop ran some tests on it, but couldn't figure out what was wrong. As I can't definitively rule out a virus as the cause, I've been paranoid about the possibility of my new computer getting a virus ever since, which is why I bought Bitdefender (as it has a very high virus detection rate compared to other products, and even had ransomware and phishing protection).

I don't trust Windows Defender. From what I know about it, it provides very little protection. Would the free version of Avira (which I've heard has a very high virus detection rate) be safe to try?

HP Recommended

Hello,

The BIOS update for both models, sp78113, is the exact same update.

Running different timing and speeds in RAM can cause weird stuff. Pull one of the sticks and see if the system stabilizes. Then try the other stick. Try each one in each slot.

I did't have errors but hard erratic behavior. RAM would jump to 6GB or more just using Chrome or Firefox and the processor would ramp up. The system would have crashed but I am running 32GB of RAM. 

The PC was choking.

You are absolutely right, Defender is not good. I tried just to see how the system would respond. The PC was stable after removing KAV.

I really think it is the RAM that is causing erratic behavior. 

If RAM does not fix then temp remove BD, reboot and see how the system runs using Windows Defender. Try known safe sites to test.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Regarding the HP tests, I downloaded the HP Vision Diagnostics Program, but my computer wouldn't boot from it (probably because it's outdated). I then restarted my computer and hit F2, which brought up the built-in self-diagnostics. It  seemed very basic and probably outdated, and only had two test options: a short basis RAM test and a hard drive self-test.

The RAM test completed without errors.

The hard drive test didn't complete. It got to 99%, counted down the seconds until it would be finished, stopped at one second. It never gave the results. However, I tested the drive (which is almost brand new) with CHKDSK and Western Digital Data Lifeguard after the first crash, and never got any errors. I suspect that the version of HP's built-in tests (rather than the drive itself) is at fault, as it seems like a very old version.

"The BIOS update for both models, sp78113, is the exact same update."

So it should be safe to install it?

"Running different timing and speeds in RAM can cause weird stuff. Pull one of the sticks and see if the system stabilizes. Then try the other stick. Try each one in each slot."

But how would I know if my system has stabilized? The computer went weeks without any crashes. I'd have to wait indefinitely to find out if anything's wrong or not.

"I did't have errors but hard erratic behavior. RAM would jump to 6GB or more just using Chrome or Firefox and the processor would ramp up."

That sounds a little bit like what has happened with Bitdefender at times. It seems to use a lot of CPU whenever I use certain programs (although the RAM usage doesn't seem to be too extreme, as far as I can recall). It especially does this with JDownloader. My guess is that it uses a lot of system resources to scan all traffic coming through the program to make sure there aren't any viruses there.

I've also noticed that Opera seems to use a lot of CPU whenever I play Youtube videos (although, again, its RAM usage doesn't seem too extreme to me).

"Pull one of the sticks and see if the system stabilizes. Then try the other stick. Try each one in each slot."

But how would I know if my system becomes stable? I can't see a way to tell until a crash happens, so wouldn't I have to wait weeks to find out?

Also, do you think it would be feasible to run a computer such as mine on a mere 4 GB of RAM? It's using 53% of my 8 GB of RAM right now, and the only program I have running is Opera (not counting Bitdefender and the portable version of Networx). This is pretty typical RAM usage for my system, and it sometimes uses more. Wouldn't my system get overloaded quickly using such a small amount of RAM?

Is it relevant that the two RAM sticks aren't in adjacent slots? The refurbishers placed on in the first slot (my computer has four slots), then skipped a slot and placed the second stick in slot #3. Does this at all matter?

[Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 34 - Handle 002dh]
  Size                          4096MB
  Speed                         667MHz
  Manufacturer                  U
  Part Number                   S                
[Memory Device (Type 17) - Length 34 - Handle 0031h]
  Size                          4096MB
  Speed                         800MHz
  Manufacturer                  M
  Part Number                   1

"I really think it is the RAM that is causing erratic behavior."

Do you believe that the likelihood of the RAM itself being the source of the problem is higher than that of an outdated BIOS or being the cause? How common in general is it (to the best of your knowledge) for differences in RAM such as the ones seen in the information above to create system problems?

"If RAM does not fix then temp remove BD, reboot and see how the system runs using Windows Defender."

Do you believe that it would be wisest to try to rule out hardware-related issues (RAM, BIOS, etc) before trying to eliminate software (such as Bitdefender) as a suspect? In what order do you believe I should try to eliminate the main three suspects (RAM, BIOS, and Bitdefender)?

HP Recommended

UPDATE: I've updated my BIOS. It went uneventfully. I think I'll look into trying to buy some RAM in the near future.

My current plan goes as follows.

1. Update BIOS (which I've just done).

2. Wait to see what happens for a while, but buy some RAM as soon as is practical. If I replace the RAM without a BSOD having happened in the meantime and no more BSODs follow after the RAM replacement, it doesn't really matter whether it was the BIOS or the RAM that fixed it. Either way, my problem would be gone. If a BSOD does occur before buying replacement RAM, then remove one RAM stick until the replacement comes.

3. If any more BSODs happen after RAM replacement or removing one stick, possibly uninstall Bitdefender and see what happens.

Does this sound like a good plan to you?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.