Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion A6633SC with Windows 7 64-bit (bought August 2009, so warranty just ran out => no support from HP)

The PC worked all right on Sunday evening, but it never started Windows on Monday morning. 😞

Tried to reinstall Windows, but not able to do so.

The diagnostic tool showed, that CPU and memory were OK.

Error message: HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GBC-H20L (8333KB006839) !Warning

Testing Boot Path

Error Code: BIOHD-2

Warning: No drives detected

* Drivers are installed

* HDD cables are properly attached

* Driver interface is not communicating

Does this indicate, that I have to replace the motherboard (and how can I get hold of a replacement board)?

Seagate HD installed.

I have seen reports on this error code, but did not see any description of the action needed to overcome or repair the problem.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,

That error code means that your hard disk has failed. You can use the hard disk diagnostic test in BIOS for further confirmation. If either short or long test does not pass or causes your PC to reboot, the hard disk must be replaced 

Unfortunately the normal solution for this is:

Locate your Recovery disc set or usb recovery media. I hope you took the time to make  it.( your HP software asked you to do this)  

Purchase a new SATA2  hard disk of equal (500 GB) or greater size. Remove the failed disk and install the new one.

Follow the instructions here and restore your original  operating system to the new hard disk. 

Best regards,

erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have had similar problem.

My BIOHD-2 error was thought to be a failed HDD.  I bought a nice new one, and bought the recovery discs from HP (of course I hadn't made any!)

Was ready to reinstall the OS and start fresh, but the BIOS still does not recognize the HDD.

I have read extensively though the forum, and don't have any luck with the other desparate "voo-doo" home remedies either.

I have unplugged every cable, and reseated them.  I have unplugged every cable, and removed the battery for 10+ minutes, reseated the cables, and still nothing.

Removed the motherboard, and see no scorches on it.

I have NOT opened the power supply box, where all the cables originate, but that would be next.

Has anyone got a clue what else BIOHD-2 can represent?

Help!

Matt

ps, I am a people doc that owns a PC, not a HP Doc.

HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forum! 🙂

@HPDoc wrote:

I have had similar problem.

My BIOHD-2 error was thought to be a failed HDD.  I bought a nice new one, and bought the recovery discs from HP (of course I hadn't made any!)

Was ready to reinstall the OS and start fresh, but the BIOS still does not recognize the HDD.

I have read extensively though the forum, and don't have any luck with the other desparate "voo-doo" home remedies either.

I have unplugged every cable, and reseated them.  I have unplugged every cable, and removed the battery for 10+ minutes, reseated the cables, and still nothing.

Removed the motherboard, and see no scorches on it.

I have NOT opened the power supply box, where all the cables originate, but that would be next.

Has anyone got a clue what else BIOHD-2 can represent?

Help!

Matt

ps, I am a people doc that owns a PC, not a HP Doc.

Usually a hard disk comes with a disk preperation utility that is a stand alone utility. What is the brand of your hard disk? You may find that initializing the hard disk resolves the issue.

Seagate Dowloads and utility

Western Digital diagnostic utilities (this is by individual product)

Kind regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I have found a company in Denmark, who has copied the content of the failing harddisk. Several problems existed, the well-known driver software issue, plus several failures on the disk.

When I installed the new harddisk with a copy of the "old content", every thing worked fine, and I have not yet found any data missing.

HP Recommended

I've seen and had this error before, IF your bios does NOT recognize your HDD and you have tried all open data ports BUT it is getting power (feel or hear it whir while open)  THEN try purchasing a Sata Controller Card. More often then not i've seen the sata controllers go bad. OR replace your Mobo. Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

bagaimana cara memperbaikinya 

trims.......

HP Recommended

Hello febria,

There is no easy fix. Your hard drive has likely failed and you'll need to try another hard drive to see if it gives the same error.

--------------------------------

Halo febria

Tidak ada memperbaiki mudah. Hard drive Anda memiliki kemungkinan gagal dan Anda akan perlu mencoba harddisk lain untuk melihat apakah itu memberikan kesalahan yang sama.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
HP Recommended

you can replace the motherboard but its your NVADDIA chip look online and you can see how to replace or enen re-attach it. it is a common problem. it isnt your HDD or the cables.

HP Recommended

This is a truly old thread.

In order to keep the thread and the forum timely, I will be blocking new responses. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.