Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 795
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There has been some dismay in getting a mini 6 pin atx power cable for the Envy 795 to power a second and third hard drive.  Unless you buy it pre-configured for the a second hard drive you will not get the power cable.  Suffice it to say, even a few year later there is nobody that seems to sell this power cable for the Envy 795.  That is very frustrating to have bought a PC with an upgrade in mind to not be able to find a simple power cable.

However, with the guidance from this HP post:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Envy-795-drive-upgrade/td-p/700...

I was able to create a cable that is working with minimal effort and high degree of confidence.  But you have to know the pin configuration to swap the pins around on this alternative cable that is made for a Dell.  So to help enhance the already explained configuration I thought I would give a few more pictures to help someone who might have the inclination to try making one.

First, buy this cable from COMeap on amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CK8QP68/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wish this cable was a little longer and the connectors positioned in the opposite direction, but it works.  After doing this I am sure there is another cable that would be a better length, but I went with one that had a track record for working. 

It uses the correct mini 6 pin and is completely wired and ready to be re-configured with the correct pin requirements with minimal effort.  It does have one extra cable that is orange.  You will not use this cable.  So when you unpin it from the head you will not reinstall that pin, just tie it back and put some black electrical tape over it to keep it from touching any of your computer insides.

---

A funny thing was I came across Chrisocowan's review on Amazon for this cable, which prompted me to buy it. Then, thankfully I came across the HP post I mentioned above, when looking for the correct pin configuration, and saw his link to the cable I bought.  How lucky was that to stumble across the HP post!  Here was his review on Amazon, pretty vague, but encouraging enough for me to buy and try to make the cable. But without the HP post , it would have been pretty dismal to figure out the pin configuration without some confidence.

RenaissanceMan

Reviewed in the United States on October 29, 2019

Verified Purchase
Appears to be well made of good materials. Had to alter this to fit the new HP 795, but it worked great! no complaints.

---

Secondly, you will have to remove the pins so you can install them in the correct order.  DO NOT plug this into your HP motherboard without first changing the pins.  It will NOT work and may damage your motherboard.

There are several ways to do this. I have a workshop so I took a cheap pair of tweezers from a set I bought a long time ago at harbor freight and filed it down to be thin enough in both width and depth to fit in the small hole and release the pins from the slots.  You can buy the tool, but I didn't want to wait or spend another $10 on a one time use tool.  Here is a YouTube video I used to show me how to remove the pins. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAtmTQbR2ZM

It's really not that hard, with a little patience.  I also attached a picture of my tweezers I fabricated and the result. The pins are not springy so you can do one side at a time to depress the wings so the pin can be removed.  I don't think it's necessary to slide the tweezers on each side at the same time as the tool in the video demonstrates.  That is at least how it worked for me. That made it a lot easier than trying to coordinate both sides of the tweezers to slide in the tiny hole between the pin and the connector.

IMG-5235.jpg

Finally, you have to pull the wings back out on each pin, as described in the YouTube video, so they will stay in the hole when  you put them back in the correct slots of the mini 6 pin head.  You do not need the orange cable / pin. So as described in the original post, just pull it back and wrap it with black electrical tape to the heat shrink wrap so it doesn't have anyway to touch your computer parts when you install the cable.

Here are a few more pictures and information about the pin order and the modified cable I made.

Table view is pins entering the mini 6 pin head as shown in the picture (TOP).

Tab/Tooth/Clip  

A                                                   B                                         C

1       Black (outer ground)               Red (+12v)                       Empty

2       Empty                                         Black (innerground)       Yellow (+5v)

This is a picture of the original cable for the HP Envy 795 provided by Sparkylondon in the HP post reference above.  I labeled them to try and make it clear.  i.e. A1 is column A, row 1 in the chart above.  

InkedEnvy HDD power cable 6 way connector from the back_LI.jpg

InkedInkedEnvy HDD power cable 2_LI.jpg

A picture of the cable I made in the correct pin configuration with the unused orange cable taped back.

IMG-5236.jpg

IMG-5237.jpg

You can also get some of the original pictures from the HP post mentioned above to help see some more detail and other insights. 

Once it's done you should test the cable with a spare hard drive before using it on your main hard drive(s).

I hope this helps someone.  The real solutions is HP should provide or outsource this simple $10 cable. It's pretty ridiculous to have to do this for a large name brand maker of PCs.  Maybe I am just missing how to buy the part in the U.S. but I could not find it in any searches in the U.S. and the one produced in the U.K. was terribly expensive, like 65 pounds.  Ridiculous!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@kokatana,

The cable is now available.  L22276-001

Call to verify.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.