Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 700qe desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My computer will not start.  This is the same issue I had in December 2015 while still under warranty.  HP replaced the motherboard.  It has now (July 2016) failed again but is beyond the 90 day replacement warranty.  Can I buy another replacement motherboard and install it myself?  If so, what is the replacement part that I should look for?  I have Intel core i7-4770 3.4G 8M 84w CPU and 2 TB hard drive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Bobirdie.  Thank you for the additional information.

Here is a refurbished motherboard from Newegg.  Personally, I would have no problem buying it from them.  I have bought thousands of dollars worth of computer components from them.  You can look further to see if you can find one for less money.  I believe that you would be able to find a new one on ebay.

If you have never replaced a motherboard and even if you have replaced one, my best advice is take some very good pictures of the motherboard before you begin removing the connections.  I normally lable the cables on the power supply unit (PSU).  It would be good to take pictures of the connectors for the front of the case, also.  This will save you a lot of frustrations later.  It is not difficult if you take your time and I suggest using an Anti-static wrist strap to assure that you don't damage the components.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Bobirdie, welcome to the forum.

When requesting help you should always include the make/model (i.e. p6-xxxx) of the computer and/or monitor. This information is necessary for us to review the specifications of them.  Once I have this information, I will help you further.

HP Recommended
Thank you. It is HP ENVY 700-230qe desktop. Do you need other information beyond this? It has motherboard labeled MS 7826 ver 1.0.
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Bobirdie.  Thank you for the additional information.

Here is a refurbished motherboard from Newegg.  Personally, I would have no problem buying it from them.  I have bought thousands of dollars worth of computer components from them.  You can look further to see if you can find one for less money.  I believe that you would be able to find a new one on ebay.

If you have never replaced a motherboard and even if you have replaced one, my best advice is take some very good pictures of the motherboard before you begin removing the connections.  I normally lable the cables on the power supply unit (PSU).  It would be good to take pictures of the connectors for the front of the case, also.  This will save you a lot of frustrations later.  It is not difficult if you take your time and I suggest using an Anti-static wrist strap to assure that you don't damage the components.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you @old_geekster.  All of this information is very helpful and I will give it a try.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @Bobirdie.  I am glad to help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.