Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Slimline 410-010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Background: Recently I started getting an error when booting the computer. It tells me "cpu fan not detected", despite the fact that the fan is spinning. I've cleaned the fan & the surroundings but the error is still there. The temperature also seems to be fine as long as I'm not putting the computer under too much stress. I've tried disconnecting & reconnecting the connection, as well as trying out my luck with the BIOS. Nothing has worked so far.

Question: I was wondering what might be the options for replacing and/or supplementing the fan. I'm not sure what model I need to buy to replace the fan that I have. Also I was wondering if I can add more fans (external? case?) as well. Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@joshhk72,

While your actions are excellent, I would to restate some tasks.

1) Unplug the power cord, and open the side panel. With a can of compressed air, dust-off the CPU fan. You can use fiber pipe cleaner stick to clean around the fan blades, and into the heat sink fins. For heavy residue, isopropyl alcohol 85-90% with a Q-tip cab be used on the fan blades.

2) Unplug the fan power plug, and re-seat it.  (Can you verify whether 3 or 4 pin). Most are 4 pin.

3) After re-booting, run CPUIDHWMonitor to record the CPU fan speed.  Then report back. It has been my observation that you need a fan that has a minimum rotation of 900 RPM or it will trigger a Fan Speed error.

4) A fan can wear out because of bearing friction.

About replacing:  Look at this example (do not buy this) and you will see it has screws mounting the fan to the heatsink.

To measure the size (likely 80mm) use this chart.    A 4 pin fan is called a PWM fan.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@joshhk72,

While your actions are excellent, I would to restate some tasks.

1) Unplug the power cord, and open the side panel. With a can of compressed air, dust-off the CPU fan. You can use fiber pipe cleaner stick to clean around the fan blades, and into the heat sink fins. For heavy residue, isopropyl alcohol 85-90% with a Q-tip cab be used on the fan blades.

2) Unplug the fan power plug, and re-seat it.  (Can you verify whether 3 or 4 pin). Most are 4 pin.

3) After re-booting, run CPUIDHWMonitor to record the CPU fan speed.  Then report back. It has been my observation that you need a fan that has a minimum rotation of 900 RPM or it will trigger a Fan Speed error.

4) A fan can wear out because of bearing friction.

About replacing:  Look at this example (do not buy this) and you will see it has screws mounting the fan to the heatsink.

To measure the size (likely 80mm) use this chart.    A 4 pin fan is called a PWM fan.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hello. Thank you for the response! I've already cleaned & tried reseating the fan this week, using compressed air from Best Buy as well as Q-tips. The fan is 4-pin. I've tried unplugging & replugging it, should I try unscrewing & rescrewing it as well? 

CPUID HWMonitor tells me that the fan speed is generally around 1000 RPM during idle times (927 min, 1174 max).

Thank you for the example. I'll start looking into replacements just in case (I won't buy soon since I can use my laptop instead for now, but it never hurts to look first). 

HP Recommended

@joshhk72,

The small variation is not normal. If you could get the numbers off the fan I might be able to do more research.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

I opened up my case to check the fan. I can't see what's on the barcode on the side of the fan, so I thought about taking it off briefly. But I didn't have to because the issue seems to be gone after having rebooted the computer (?). I don't get the error message anymore. 

HP Recommended

@joshhk72 

I surmise the issue is over for now.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.