Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion 24-r111naExample: Pavilion 65XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Fan noise from inside the unit is hunting up and down. I read somwhere else that HP technical support that this is normal in an all-in-one pc. Not good if it is!! As I've just taken delivery of this refurbished unit from an authorised reseller unde the rHP Renew programme I can get a replacement easily enough but I don't want to do so if this is a common problem. Looking for advice here. Very many thanks in anticipation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@GeoffGk Wise choice! I'm glad I could be of assistance,

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my first post as the solution to help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@GeoffGk To let you know, this isn't a normal issue as such, however, there are certain fixes offered to resolve the issue, if you wish to troubleshoot you may go through the below steps, if not, I suggest you get yourself a replacement to be on a safer side before the replacement window closes.

Step 1: Adjusting the power settings

1. Open Control Panel. Click the “Hardware and Sound” category and then select “Power Options.”

From here, you can select your preferred power plan. “Balanced” and “Power saver” are the default ones, while “High performance” is hidden under the “Show additional plans” heading at the bottom.

2. Then select - Power Saver: Power Saver attempts to save power by reducing the CPU’s speed all the time and lowering the screen brightness, among other similar settings.

Step 2: Cleaning the fan vents

Dust, pet hair, and other particles can accumulate on or inside your computer. If the fan spins at high speed, dust in the case vents and other components might cause heat to build up inside the computer case. To clean your All-in-One and reduce the heat.

Use the following steps to clean the fan vents.

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Remove any objects near the computer. In addition, make sure there are no children or pets near the area.

3. Find the fan vents along the back edges of the case. Some vents are on the back top and bottom of the case, as shown below. Some are on the back sides of the case.

Figure: Example Fan Vents (generic)

Image of the back of an AIO with arrows to the fan vents.
  4. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust from the vents on the back of the computer.

5. Turn on the computer.

If the noise is gone, the problem is solved.

If the fan is still noisy, continue to the next step and install the latest graphics hardware, driver.

Step 3: Upgrade the BIOS, Chipset and graphics card drivers: Click here to find and install the same.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your troubleshooting suggestions and your reassurance that the problem with the fan is not normal for an  AIO. As I'm well within the replacement window I would certainly agree, to be on the safe side.to go down that route. 

HP Recommended

@GeoffGk Wise choice! I'm glad I could be of assistance,

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my first post as the solution to help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.