Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 590
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The CPU and case fans are both running flat out. I changed fans; no difference. speedfan cannot see an fans. Device manager shows that they exist. Any suggestions for getting them under control. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@broosth , welcome back to the Community.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

3la87aa#aba

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @broosth!

The first thing that I consider when I hear that you changed the fan and get the same results is Heat!  Here is a article that will explain further what I mean.  Read it carefully to see if it pertains to your situation.

HP Recommended

Most of that article does not apply. I am confused by one assertion: that the CPU fan has the temp sensor. I thought the temp being sensed was directly from the CPU. CoreTemp shows a different temp from each core. I know there is adequate thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU. I swapped the fan on the CPU heatsink for another of the same size and 4-pin connector. I finally got the BIOS to the current level. I'd like to find a program like SpeedFan that can 'see' the fans and control them. SpeedFan does not. Nor does it see the fans on my  Z390 motherboard. Do you know of an alternative to SpeedFan that works with current motherboards and can control the fans, not just report them?

HP Recommended

@broosth 

Q: Do you know of an alternative to SpeedFan that works with current motherboards and can control the fans, not just report them?

A: There are numerous apps available for this purpose.  Here are 5 of the most popular:

• HWMonitor.
  • CoreTemp.
  • NZXT Cam.
  • HWiNFO.
  • Open Hardware Monitor.

I have used and am using HWiNFO and NZXT Cam.  They both work great on my Z390 motherboard.  I am not certain which of them will work best for your HP motherboard.

HP Recommended

Thanks again for your help.

I tried HWMonitor on may computer. It shows the CPU and case fans. It does not see any fans on the HP I am attempting to repair.  I have been looking for a device that might do the job. Found on from Corsair, but it appears to require an internal USB 2 socket. None on this MB. 

I see a bare 590-P motherboard for sale on eBay. That might be a good alternative as it should have the OEM key needed to validate Windows. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.