Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

There are 4 serial sockets. 0,1 and 2 are used. Can 3 one be used for an external disk ? (with a convenient connection)

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Do you mean to say USB ports instead of serial sockets?   USB stands for universal serial bus.

People frequently use an available USB port to connect an external storage device to a desktop PC.

Make sure that the external disk has its own power source. That is always the best idea for the longevity of the USB port. 

The following layout image of the rear of your motherboard shows the available USB ports.

rear ports.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@Jamob,

Are you referring to these type of connections?  If so, those are SATA headers.  You can use an external ESata rail, but that does require an external ESata Dock.

Angelica MB.JPG

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

HP Motherboard Specification, M2N68-LA (Narra6)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01925534

Back Panel I/O Ports

Already shown in earlier answer.

---

Internal Connections (excerpt from list)
Four (4) SATA connectors -- used for HDD and SSD

"Can the SATA 3 connector be used for an external disk ? (with a convenient connection)"

YES.

There are third-party accessories available (Internet, Retail computer stores), that can present that connection on an expansion slot (rear panel).  The external drive (in an enclosure) will still require its own DC power source.  IF you already have an external hard-drive enclosure, assure that it is compatible with the eSATA connector.

IMG_3891.JPG

StarTech ESATAPLT18IN, 18 inch - 1 Port SATA to eSATA Plate Adapter.

===

There is an eSATA Power (eSATAp) connector, that adds DC power (+5 and +12 VDC) in order to power the hard drive without an external power supply.  A photo (below) shows internal connections for SATA data and power, as well as USB.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESATAp

The USB standard body does NOT support this method for +5 VDC,

BUT the SATA-IO standard body has reviewed these methods.

CHECK with your External HDD Enclosure manufacturer for their support/usage.

IMG_3892.JPG

HP Recommended

Using the fourth sertal socket (#3)  is not a hardware problem, but it is not detected: It is probably needed to modify the BIOS. How can I do it?

HP Recommended

Thank you, but my problem is not hardware (I found an adaptator), but software : the disk is not detected. It is probably needed to change something into the Bios. How can I do it ?

HP Recommended

Thank you, but it is not my problem: I have an external ESata Dock, but is seems necessary to modify the BIOS. How?

Best regards

HP Recommended

Thank you, I have an external ESata Dock, but it is probably needed to explain it to BIOS. How do it ?

With best regards

HP Recommended

@Jamob,

Connect the external hard drive to your system, power-on, and boot. 

From my experience, it needs to be "ON" prior to boot.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

When I bought my copmputer, it had a singledisk, (connected on serial plot number 0) . Number 2 was used by several systems. I simply used  number 1 for a disk. When I started computer this second disk appeared, I could use it. Now, I have connected an other disk on  number 3 serial output, using the same power source. It does not work. It is a problem of computer, because exchanging the disks outputs (serial 1 <--> serial 3 ) - outputs, the new disk works, but not the old.

Is it a problem of hardware inside the computer or a problem of software ? If it is software, what can I do?

With best regards

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.