Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Omen 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought an Omen 870-244. After some time, I moved all the components from the original case into an Omen Obelisk case, 875-0024. Everything has gone well except for the USB 3.0 front panel ports. The cable from the Obelisk front panel will not reach to the USB 3.0 header on the motherboard. 

So, I bought an extension cable, a motherboard USB 3.0 extension cable. Using the extension cable neither front panel port will work. I test by plugging in my iPhone and seeing if it attempts to charge. I tried two different extension cables from two different makers, Corsair and CableMod.

I next removed the front panel module from the original case, connected it to the motherboard and both USB 3.0 ports work. Both cause the iPhone to charge. Next I used each of the extension cables and connected them to the front panel module from the original case and only one USB 3.0 port works.

I was assuming the pin out for the motherboard header would be standard, that any extension cables would be standard and the front panel connections would be standard from case to case. Apparently they are not. 

Any explanation?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.