Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp 550-044 with the Memphis2-S motherboard
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to get a dedicated graphics card for my computer, what is the newest compatible one I can get? I know it has a PCIe x16 slot meaning I can hold mainly any gpu but would I have to download new drivers or?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You can install the latest graphics cards because your PC has a UEFI BIOS.

What do you want to do with a discrete graphics card? Game, video rendering, or normal use.

You will have to upgrade the uATX 180 watt factory power supply if you need a powerful graphics card. Not many graphics card upgrade options are available when using a 180 watt power supply.

You will have to remove the current video drivers before you install a new graphics card. You will also have to disable Secure boot and enable Legacy support (Link) before you install a new graphics card.

Windows 10 will give you graphics drivers after you install the card. I always install the latest drivers available from Nvidia or AMD.

You have a uATX MB and chassis.

You have to look at prospective graphics cards and compare the card dimensions to your MB and chassis' dimensions to ensure the new card will fit in your PC.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.