Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 550-110
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking to add a video card to this 550-100 so my 9 year old can play some games and work with some graphical programs. I have an old GTX 650, but it is not compatible with the motherboard. I found a list of compatible GPUs for the original Memphis motherboard via PC-Specs , but have not found a list for the 2-S series of the motherboard. Can anyone verify if this list is the same for the 2-S, or recommend compatible GPUs at least as capable as the GTX 660, which Ubisoft Discovery Tour recommends?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@DWeade , welcome to the forum.

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article to tell you what to consider when upgrading the video card: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7481981

The first thing that you have to do is upgrade the power supply unit (PSU).  The current PSU is only 180W.  This is not nearly enough wattage to run any of the retail video cards.  I normally recommend at least 500W.  You should measure the space provided for the PSU to assure the one that you choose will fit.  A full modular PSU is good in small mid-size cases.  They allow you to only use the cables that are absolutely necessary.  I am going to give you an example of a good standard PSU because the modular models will cost a bit more: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-series-cx450-450w/p/N82E16817139201?&quicklink=true

You can use this as a example of what you need.  Again, check the measurements.

Now, for the video card.  Here is one that will run most any game that your son wants to play at high settings: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-gtx-1050-ti-4gt-oc/p/N82E16814137055

The PSU in the link that I provided should run it with no problems.

Another upgrade that would give him a lot of system performance increase is a SSD boot drive.  This would replace the Hard Drive (HDD).

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, though it's odd my email has a request for the product number (M9Z83AA#ABA), but instead I'm seeing a different reply. Yes, you are correct about some of the requirements, and an SSD for the boot drive which is already installed. I've also upgraded the power supply to 430 watts, which is more than Newegg's power supply calculator calls for with the components I plan to include, and I had on hand. I do worry about some of the longer GPUs in this case. Just cut the end off a 750ti to fit into another computer attached to the basement projector, which was funny to do. The end of the fan guard wouldn't fit around that computer's heat sink, but the fan is plenty clear once I snipped off the end of the guard. Always something.

I think the 1050 ti is a good card, but not compatible according tot he PC-Specs list for the original Memphis motherboard. The 1070 and 1080 series are, but they are massive and hundreds of dollars at this time. That's why I'm trying to discover if there is a master list from which I can select.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @DWeade!

The Model Number of your computer is 550-110. The Product Number is M9Z83AA#ABA: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-550-100-desktop-pc-series/8499648/model/8524429/doc...

Look at the section titled "Product Release Information" for the information that I provided.  This is why it appears to be a discrepancy.

HP does not have component compatibility lists for their components.  They have their motherboards and other components made to their specifications and they are not necessarily the same as the retail versions.  Therefore, to buy a video card based on the information in your link may or may not work.  I base my recommendations on what I have experienced during many years of helping on the Forums; since 2002.  If I have doubts that the component will work, I recommend that the member contact the manufacturer's Tech Support.  They are the experts on the products.

HP Recommended

Sorry, but I don't understand. What is the discrepancy?

HP Recommended

@DWeade 

S: Thanks for the reply, though it's odd my email has a request for the product number (M9Z83AA#ABA), but instead I'm seeing a different reply.

Maybe I didn't understand what you were saying in this statement.

HP Recommended

This was the response in the first email alert someone responded to my request for support:

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.

Thanks for being an active member of our community. We appreciate it.

I was hopeful this would lead to a list or other information helping to clarify how to identify GPUs that work with this mainboard. Honestly, I'm no closer to a solution, aside from your recommendation a 1050 will work though there is no documentation supporting this before I place a purchase. And none of the few threads on this site and others touching on this topic offer any clear conclusion. My only plan at this point is to test my RX570, and to search for lists of GPUs that work with older BIOS driven systems. I do appreciate the feedback, but was hoping the HP community would have better insight. I'll try Tom's Hardware next.

HP Recommended

@DWeade 

I fully understand your frustration.  It is so difficult to know what components will work in any computer today.  The manufacturers are cranking them out so quickly nobody has time to learn what they will and won't do.

Since HP has all of the components made to their specifications it can be even more confusing because they are not necessarily the same as a retail version.

I wish that I had better information for you.

Geekster

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.