Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion P6675UK
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Pavilion P6675UK

Operating system: Windows 10  version 1903

BIOS Version/Date:        American Megatrends Inc. 6.12, 12/07/2010

Installed Physical Memory (RAM):        12.0 GB

Motherboard: MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) 

Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 320 (PCIe 2.0 x16)  Driver Version: 342.01

PSU Model: HP-D3006A0 ATX 300Watts  Part Number:570856-001

I recently upgraded Photoshop from version CS6 (2012) to Photoshop CC 2020 and have seen a huge degradation of it's ability to function responsively and consequently am unable to perform some of its newer features. For this reason I am looking to upgrade my graphic card to one recommended.

Adobe lists the GeForce 300 series as being unsupported and states their recommendations below.

• A graphic card that was released in 2014 or later
  • 1024 x 768 display (1280 x 800 recommended) with 16-bit colour and 512 MB of VRAM (2 GB or greater of VRAM is recommended)
  • To use OpenGL acceleration, your system must support OpenGL v2.0 and Shader Model 3.0 or later
  • To use OpenCL acceleration, your system must support OpenCL v1.1 or later

They recommend the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 or equivalent, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 or Quadro T1000 

I would like to know if I would be able to install the GeForce GTX1660 with my current configuration or to be advised what other adaptations would be necessary for the card to function.

I realise the 3 recommended cards are PCIe 3.0 x16 but are backward compatible. The GTX1660 has a TDP of 120W compared to 43W for the GT 320. Both cards have a suggested PSU of 350W but would I be prudent to increase my current 300W PSU?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your swift advice.

I will follow up on the solutions you have kindly provided.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Roger_H_,

The answer is "NO".

HP p6675UK is circa 2010, original OS was WIN 7.  It has a boot environment called "BIOS", aka Legacy.    It can not ever be upgraded to the newer UEFI v BIOS required of modern cards like the GTX 1050, etc.  

What works or should work: The  GTX 660 is 12% below specs of the GTX 1050, but it works.   If you can find a seller that will allow a full refund, I would try a GTX 660 Ti or GTX 670, as these are 15%-20% better than the GTX 1050.  These 2 cards are "dicey" based on their manufacturer's.

The PSU for the suggested cards is the CorsairCX550M, about $80 USD.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Many thanks for your swift advice.

I will follow up on the solutions you have kindly provided.

HP Recommended

Hi.

• I installed a gt 1030 oc to an older pc(6000 pro mt) and works. So some cards  from 1000 series work with legacy bios.
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for your comments. 

I have spent hours looking into this and have failed to find a conclusive answer.

My early findings did not indicate that legacy bios would be an issue.  I quote from a forum remark 3 years ago "UEFI capable graphics cards can be run on legacy bios, there's no issue. My card (GTX1060) for instance has UEFI bios support but is running on legacy bios, no problems." which supports what you say.  I also have read that further to the  GTX660Ti and GTX670 that Wb2001 has advised, the GTX9xx series should also work. 

HP Recommended

Wb2001 Thanks for you valued advice.

I came across this post and the MSI GTX670 does look a promising option.

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=162345.0

Kind regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.