Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Desktop PC ProDesk 400 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hi

I have a HP Desktop PC ProDesk 400 G3 MT (part#T4R57ES#UUZ) where I've already installed 16Gb RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 7570 PCIe x16 2GB GDDR3 graphic card (part#HP 695635-001).

I'd now like to upgrade this graphic card with something that supports better video resolutions for my external monitors (no gaming but just Netflix and movies) but I noticed that the provided power supply is only 180W.

I found that I can easily upgrade the power unit with an HP 300W one (part#759766–001) but I'm afraid this is still not enough as all the 4-6-8Gb graphic cards nowadays require 400W if not 500W.

What do you suggest on both topics (better graphic card and stronger power supply)?

thanks, cheers from Switzerland

Stefano

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are welcome!  Thank you for the additional information, @atzeboya!  I read right over the model in your post.  Sorry for the extra work. 

It appears that the PSU is a standard ATX.  There is a 24-pin ATX power connector on the motheboard.  I suggest measuring the space where it will be installed and compare those measurements to the one that you choose.  I like Corsair products.  The fully modular RM series would be good.  The one in my link is 650W.  It is only $10 more than the 550W.  The PSU is not the place to save money.  It is the heart of the system.  I always buy one with at least 100W to 150W more than required by the video card.  This will assure that it is not always running at full power.

The video slot is PCI express 3.0 x16.  You should measure from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case where it will be installed to see what will fit.  I like EVGA and MSI products.  Here is a page of video cards at Newegg.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@atzeboya , welcome to the forum.

Which model is your computer, microtower, mini PC or Small Form Factor?

HP Recommended

thank you,

it's a MT (part#T4R57ES#UUZ)

HP Recommended

You are welcome!  Thank you for the additional information, @atzeboya!  I read right over the model in your post.  Sorry for the extra work. 

It appears that the PSU is a standard ATX.  There is a 24-pin ATX power connector on the motheboard.  I suggest measuring the space where it will be installed and compare those measurements to the one that you choose.  I like Corsair products.  The fully modular RM series would be good.  The one in my link is 650W.  It is only $10 more than the 550W.  The PSU is not the place to save money.  It is the heart of the system.  I always buy one with at least 100W to 150W more than required by the video card.  This will assure that it is not always running at full power.

The video slot is PCI express 3.0 x16.  You should measure from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case where it will be installed to see what will fit.  I like EVGA and MSI products.  Here is a page of video cards at Newegg.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

thank you for the detailed info and useful answer.

Where did you get all those tech info and details about the system?

A link would be useful also for other users.

cheers

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @atzeboya !

I normally provide that information when a member is upgrading the CPU, Memory or SSD, but simply didn't this time.  It is in the Maintenance and Service Guide.  It is located in the User Guides section of the Support information.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.