Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Desktop Pavilion p590-p0050
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm planning to buy a graphics card that needs a 6-pin power connector. There is 6-pin cable in the case, but it is labeled p4. Will this work with a graphics card?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@MrMan7716 , welcome to the forum.

I don't believe that the P4 cable will work with a video card.  From what I have read, it is used with a processor.  The video card  cables are marked PCIe.  Since your power supply unit (PSU) doesn't have this cable, you would have to upgrade it.  This presents a problem.  The standard ATX power connector is 24-pin.  The power connector on your motherboard is a HP proprietary 4-pin.  You would need an adapter from 24-pin to 4-pin to make it work.  I have not been able to find any adapters anywhere on the Internet.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@MrMan7716,

Just where is this plug marked "P4" sourced?   The motherboard?

Would you like to verify what you have said?  Is this HP 590-p0050 your machine? If so, it has a LINCS motherboard with a proprietary PSU. The PSU found in the HP 590, 595, 690, 790, and 795 are all proprietary plugs. The main power and CPU power are a 2x2 (4 pin) power lead to the motherboard. The inline 7 pin is the fan plug.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

The cable is a 6pin and it is marked p4 on the part where most computers have it marked pci-e. This cable comes out of the power supply and is currently unused

HP Recommended

@MrMan7716,

The correct markings for a PCIE power plug is found here.

P4 connector is a 2x2 connector, and not for PCIE.  See here, and named "4 pin ATX +12 volt power cable".

What is the 310W PSU part number, the L03980-800 or L64961-800. Curious which has this cable.

Just what GPU card are you interested in?

That 310W can handle a gtx1050 2gb card.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

The product number for the power supply is 937516-004. I am also confused because the cable is a 6 pin, not a 4 pin, and my cable is labeled p4. If you look up the power supply you will see the image of the 6 pin cable I am talking about.

HP Recommended

@MrMan7716 

Thank for for your continued info. The 937516-004 is not the listed PSU for the unit. In fact, it belongs to another HP product family, the Prodesk 280, 288 series G3. See here.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

IMG_0747.jpgThis is my power supply in my pcIMG_0748.jpgThis is my 6-pin connector i have been talking about

HP Recommended

HP does not recognize your existing part number for the HP 590 p0050

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.