Top Student
5 2 0 1
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Graphics Driver No Longer Works

HP Z1 (Original)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Z1 AIO (original) with Core i3-2120, Intel HD 2000 graphics driver, 20GB ECC RAM,  512GB SSD, etc.

Running Windows 10 Pro/64, Rhino 6, Autocad, MS Office.  No gaming.

Personal:  I am a graduate student in design, dollars are tight, and the only high intensity work that I do is using CAD package Rhino 6.

Problem: Some function in Rhino 6 no longer work.  It seems that Intel have not updated Intel HD 2000 graphics driver to operate in a Windows 10 environment.  Windows 10 essentially "switches off" the graphics driver or fails to see that it is there. 

I have run the Intel Driver and Support Assistant and it says my drivers are uptodate. Specifically: Date 5-19-2016, Version 9-17-10.4459.

But when I run the Rhino 6 SystemInfo it says …Intel® HD Graphics (Intel) Memory: 2GB, Driver date: 5-19-2016 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 1.1.0

Same date, Different version, but neither say which version is installed. I am confused. 

I have discussed the matter with McNeel (Rhino producers) and they advise:

• Intel HD graphics drivers 2000 and 3000 are inadequate for Rhino 6,
  • Intel Graphics Driver HD 4000 barely works, D 630 is barely adequate.
  • A better graphics driver is really needed, but they avoid specifics as they have not tested them in my environment...

Is there another faster graphics driver compatible with Windows 10/64 that I can download?

Alternativey:  Is there an inexpensive MXM graphis card that I may be able to purchase?

Or is there another solution?

I realise that I am approaching the time when I will have to upgrade the entirre system, a daunting task for a student!  Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation