Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0070
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I posted this on another board, but a friend suggested that I post it here, as I might get better answers, so here goes:

I'm getting an HP Pavilion 590-p0070 PC soon, but I just want to know which graphics cards are compatible. I checked the specs page for this PC at HP's site, but it gave no indications there.

Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-590-p0000-desktop-pc-series/19390500/model/21984160...

I'm not a gamer, but I do a lot of video editing/encoding, which uses a lot of resources. The current PC (a laptop) that I'm using has a core i5-6200U/8 GB RAM/Geforce 940MX. It seems adequate for most smaller encodes, but slows down with some larger encodes.

I was hoping that the Pavilion 590 with it's core i7-8700/12 GB RAM would be sufficient, but it uses Intel UHD 630 integrated graphics, so I wondered if I would need a graphics card.

In comparison, the core i5-6200 is just 2 cores/4 threads, while the core i7-8700 is 6 cores/12 threads. I'll probably bump up the RAM to 16 GB as well, so would that be enough?

The videos I work on tend to be 720p or less, if that helps any. Either way, I would like to know which graphics cards are compatible, if only for future reference. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Based on what I know of this series of desktops (I have a 590-p0057c, which has 16GB RAM and a Radeon RX 550), your main limitation is power. Long story short:

I think that you could get up to a Radeon RX 560 or an Nividia 1050 or 1050Ti - 2 or 4 GB doesn't seem to matter. Basically these will draw power from the slot, and that stays within 65 to 75 Watts.

For what you are wanting to edit, those are pretty decent cards.

I don't know which video editor you are considering, but I would think that adding a SSD to the slot on the motherboard  would be as equal or more important for editing videos than bumping up the RAM by 4GB.

But I don't edit videos much, mainly RAW photos.

enjoy!

Lost in the Ozone
Somewhere in Texas

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Hogun_The_Grim,

If you know anything about computer design, power (PSU) supplies, and capabilities I would suggest you read thru the support page.  The motherboard does not accept a standard ATX PSU. The supplied PSU has strange plugs, ie a pair of 4 pin headers for MAIN and CPU, and an 8 pin header for the SATA drive power.

As the supplied PSU is 310W vs the normal 180W supply, you could limit your PCIEx16 slot to a 75W card.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I actually read thru that support page, but it was of no help to me (hence my posting the question here). I don't know much about motherboards and all that technical stuff, unfortunately. When I bought a video card for a previous PC, they had a listing of all the compatible video cards listed on the specs page, so it was a lot easier for me.

I guess I'll just add that extra RAM and just hope for the best. Thanks anyway...

HP Recommended
Hi,

Hopefully its not too late but i just recently bought this and have a gtx 1050 ti and its been working flawlessly. I use this fot gaming mostly and get decent performance on mid to high settings for anything i throw at it pretty much. You could also get a cheaper gt1030 with much less power draw
HP Recommended

Based on what I know of this series of desktops (I have a 590-p0057c, which has 16GB RAM and a Radeon RX 550), your main limitation is power. Long story short:

I think that you could get up to a Radeon RX 560 or an Nividia 1050 or 1050Ti - 2 or 4 GB doesn't seem to matter. Basically these will draw power from the slot, and that stays within 65 to 75 Watts.

For what you are wanting to edit, those are pretty decent cards.

I don't know which video editor you are considering, but I would think that adding a SSD to the slot on the motherboard  would be as equal or more important for editing videos than bumping up the RAM by 4GB.

But I don't edit videos much, mainly RAW photos.

enjoy!

Lost in the Ozone
Somewhere in Texas
HP Recommended

Hello-

Firstly, thanks to everyone who responded---you all have been a big help to me---much appreciated! Well, I've had the PC up and running for weeks now and I couldn't be more pleased. I did a couple of test encodes to sort of gauge the encoding performance of the PC. Well, the PC encoded a 1 hour 720p HD chunk in 15 minutes or less, which is way faster than the 1 hour or more conversion time of my old PC. I even tested it while watching HD video on Youtube TV and I didn't notice any slowdown while doing so.

But, it still early yet---computers tend to slow down over time, so I'll have to monitor performance. I might still add the extra RAM anyway, but I'll hold off on the video card for now. 

At any rate, it's nice to know I have options down the road---thanks again guys.

HP Recommended

Hello i have this PC 590-P0171NP with 180W power supply can i use one of those graphic cards of 75W?

HP Recommended

AMD Radeon Pro WX 2100 Graphics Card this looks good enough. Is the power sufficient for a 590 p0066?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.