Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 55-268ea
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am presently taking on a lot more video editing and high end photographic work and I have upped the RAM to 16GB.  Although everything appears to be working OK, I was wondering if an upgrade on the Graphics Card would boost performance further.

If so, what Graphics Card would you recommend?

My current card is the one that came with the PC when new and is:

Name:  AMD Radeon R5 235

Chip Type:  AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6778)

DAC Type:   Internal DAC (400 MHz)

Running Win 8.1 (64bit)

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion 500-268ea Desktop PC Product Specifications

You must check if you change the card, the recommended power supply, and if need for an additional pci connector are they present on the power supply.
Power Supply
Internal 300W (100V-240V)

for this software at least:

Illustrator CS4 system requirements
2 GHz or faster processor
Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) or Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (certified for 32-bit Windows XP and Windows Vista)
512 MB of RAM (1 GB recommended)
1024 x 768 display (1280 x 800 recommended) with 16-bit graphics adapter
DVD-ROM drive
Broadband Internet connection required for online services *
There is nothing in particular, I have not checked if there are examples of recommended graphics cards.
check

Then you have a somewhat old computer
Release date
9-Jan-2014
The most compatible models are no longer too available on the market
with the power supply in place, you have examples here:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-500-200-desktop-pc-series/5399647/document/c0396906...

you can look at the long list here (check against motherboard, and power supply)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-500-200-desktop-pc-series/5399647

You could perhaps install a gtx 1050, but provided you find a model that does not need more than 300w
I looked quickly, and we find different answers, not enough time to compare different models, but either 300w is sufficient, or it is a question of at least 350 / 400w
If I have any advice, it is not to waste money, see if possible to buy a good computer a little later.
especially, if you can do what you want without too much problem now

On the other hand, price ratio, and performance gain, you could install a Sata SSD, it can be interesting

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello

this is a recorded response (macro))
we need the exact model of your computer, and the product number
To find it follow this
for a desktop computer

HP Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? | HP® Customer Support

and for a laptop:

HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Product Name or Number? | HP® Customer Support
Give the full version of windows
for windows 10 type winver in the search box

---------------------------------------------

This can have an advantage, but not necessarily, you have to see the recommendations of your software used
Sometimes a good processor can be enough

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Sorry, typo in the model No. Details are:

Model: Pavilion 500-268ea  Desktop

Product Number: F6L52EA#ABU

Windows: 8.1 (64 bit) Ver. 6.3 (Build 9600)

Thank you.

HP Recommended

sorry, i don't have time anymore ..
I wanted to search the product page, with the information given, but it does not work ..
I would come back tomorrow unfortunately after my working day
In the meantime, specify the software you use for photo and video

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Adobe Premiere CS4 for video editing

Adobe PhotoShop CS4 for editing images

Adobe Illustrator CS4 for graphics creations.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

HP Pavilion 500-268ea Desktop PC Product Specifications

You must check if you change the card, the recommended power supply, and if need for an additional pci connector are they present on the power supply.
Power Supply
Internal 300W (100V-240V)

for this software at least:

Illustrator CS4 system requirements
2 GHz or faster processor
Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (Service Pack 3 recommended) or Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (certified for 32-bit Windows XP and Windows Vista)
512 MB of RAM (1 GB recommended)
1024 x 768 display (1280 x 800 recommended) with 16-bit graphics adapter
DVD-ROM drive
Broadband Internet connection required for online services *
There is nothing in particular, I have not checked if there are examples of recommended graphics cards.
check

Then you have a somewhat old computer
Release date
9-Jan-2014
The most compatible models are no longer too available on the market
with the power supply in place, you have examples here:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-500-200-desktop-pc-series/5399647/document/c0396906...

you can look at the long list here (check against motherboard, and power supply)

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-500-200-desktop-pc-series/5399647

You could perhaps install a gtx 1050, but provided you find a model that does not need more than 300w
I looked quickly, and we find different answers, not enough time to compare different models, but either 300w is sufficient, or it is a question of at least 350 / 400w
If I have any advice, it is not to waste money, see if possible to buy a good computer a little later.
especially, if you can do what you want without too much problem now

On the other hand, price ratio, and performance gain, you could install a Sata SSD, it can be interesting

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to answer this query.

I have recently replaced the PSU with a 550 Watt unit.

I still have the original processor which is : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz with 16Gb of RAM; so no mean machine by any means.

I will check out your recommendations.

Thank again for taking the time.

HP Recommended

please mark the answer if it suits you
NB: maybe you can in this case install a gtx 1050ti 1060
check the dimensions and recommendation of the model found

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.