Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 6 (249 Views)

Graphics card upgrade

Product Name: HP Pavilion 500-315nj
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I was recently thinking about upgrading my GPU from a gtx 745 to a gtx 1060, more specifically this one.

Can anyone tell me if it will work with my pc, or do i have to choose a different one/even buy a new PSU?

PhD Student
Message 2 of 6 (230 Views)

Re: Graphics card upgrade

HI.

It has a PCI Express x16 slot for graphics cards.

Any card that needs that connection slot, should work for you ya sea 2.0 o 3.0,una cosa a tener en cuenta es la frecuencia a la hora de trabajar en MHz.

-There may be incompatibilities between motherboards and graphics cards but by features should work, which, I recommend that where you buy that allow you to return it in case it does not work.
-There is no list of compatible graphics cards since you can not try them all because of the number of cards in the market.

The steps to follow and that work at the time of placing it are:

1) If you already had the new graphic installed ... uninstall it again, reinstall the original.
2) Restart the machine by pressing f10
3) Once in the bios you must deactivate "boot safe", which is inscribed in the security tab. Next you must activate "inherited mode", save changes and turn off the machine.
4) Install new graphics card.
5) Start the machine and with a bit of luck is everything.

Regards.

☑ I do not work for HP, I volunteer.
☑ To close the topic, check "accept as a solution" the correct answer or Thumb to say thank you.
☑ I'm sorry but you do not answer questions privately.
Provost
Message 3 of 6 (198 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The EVGA 1060 SC gaming graphics card is not going to work in your PC as it requires an auxillary 6 pin PCIe power connector. Per the specifications for your PC, that power connector is not available.

You might consider a graphics card that is rated for 75 watts or less. Your existing graphics card is around 50 watts. The low wattage power supply for your PC might be insufficient for a 75 watt graphics card.

Top Student
Message 4 of 6 (181 Views)

So if i want to upgrade, il`l have to buy a new PSU?

Provost
Message 5 of 6 (174 Views)

Hi,

Do you think that if a bigger PSU was available it would work?

Top Student
Message 6 of 6 (145 Views)

I checked every thing else and i think that if i got a better PSU, it should work with my PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation