Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
H8-1360t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My H8-1360t has been working fine for about seven years.

Recently it developed a problem.  About one in ten powerups, on an unpredictable basis, it will immediately shut down...but then, without any intervention, a few seconds later will (all by itself) restart.  It will then work fine, for hours.

I've tried swapping out all peripherals (only a USB printer and keyboard and mouse), and swapped in known good hard drive, video card, RAM and power supply.   Replaced motherboard battery with a new one.  Even re-burned the BIOS with the HP BIOS install pack.

Checked Windows 10 for errors as well with its utilities such as sfc /scannow.

No difference.

I'm thinking it's the motherboard, and already have a NOS unused IPMMB-FM motherboard waiting in the wings (yes, I know how to get the Serial #, Feature Byte, etc. information into the new board).

My question is, before I swap the motherboard:

Am I omitting anything?  Anything I didn't think of?  Anyone see this type of glitch before?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hmmm...as a last-ditch effort prior to swapping the MB, I replaced the item I thought least likely to cause problems:  the USB mouse.  It is a simple Kensington.

Weird.

Problem of shutdown-startup seems to have gone away...but it will take more cycles to be sure.  Perhaps the mouse has a transient internal short that, on being energized a second time, recovers? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.