Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power Desktop - 580-023w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello I have a curious question? Am I better off upgrading my current gaming PC (if possible) or buying another gaming desktop? The only upgrade I made so far was the RAM from 8GB to 16GB. I'm pretty sure that it can't take any more upgrades like graphics card, power supply, etc.

48 REPLIES 48
HP Recommended

@rhumes13,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

There are no wrong questions, only question that haven't been asked.

The answer to your question depends who you ask.  An HP salesperson or a fellow-HP hobbyist like myself?

Personally, I see plenty of Upgrade potential for your HP Pavilion Power Desktop - 580-023w (Z5N95AA).

According to: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-power-580-000-desktop-pc-series/16425610/model/1734..., your desktop has been fortunate to be fitted with the Odense2-K motherboard which is ATX-powered enabled.  Meaning, you can swap out your OEM run-off-the-mill 300 watt power supply with any industry standard ATX power supply -just make careful measurements to make sure a replacement power supply will physically fit.

And this, then, is the first thing I would recommend: replace your PSU with at least a 650 watt ATX power supply. For example, the Corsair 650 watt CV650 measures 5.91 x 4.92 x 3.39 inches (LxWxH), which I'm pretty sure would fit in your case.  Please check -but you get the idea.

Second, upgrade your processor to an Intel i7-7700 or i7-7700K if you haven't done so already.

Thirdly, upgrade your GPU, which, according to the specs, is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB.

With your new 650+ watt ATX power supply, you can contemplate to swap it, say with an RTX 3070.  Graphics performance-wise this will blow you out of the water: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB/4083vs3646.

Your 16GB RAM will suffice.  Additional/improved internal cooling may have to be added, but that is a discussion for later.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NinSequitur777

HP Recommended

Are you sure all of that will work? I'm confident about the PSU and processor but the graphics card?

HP Recommended

@rhumes13,

Oh, yes: I am 101% certain. Please behold and verify for yourself actual HP Pavilion Power Desktop - 580-0xx User benchmarks fitted with your Odense2-K SSID: 82F1 motherboard: UserBenchmark: HP Pavilion Power Desktop 580-0xx Compatible Components.

And we see these desktops fitted with, among other high end graphics cards: RTX 3070 Ti, RTX 2080 Super, RTX 2070 Super, GTX 2060 Super, GTX 1080, RX 5700-XT, etc.

The only thing you should worry about are two three things: a.) purchase a 650 or 650+ watt ATX PSU, and, b.) check the dimensions (LxWxH) of whatever power-compatible graphics card you want to fit in your PC, [edit] and, c.) make sure that the new ATX power supply you're going to buy has sufficient PCIe 6+2-pin (8-pin) power connectors to keep your GPU happy.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

so how would i know to pick the right one?

HP Recommended

@rhumes13,

Please define 'right one' -you mean the right GPU?  I would say that depends primarily on your budget.  Pick a graphics card you can afford -say one of the aforementioned GPU's and look up its dimensions AND minimum power supply recommendation.  Since your desktop appears quite spacious, I am pretty confident that most GPUs are going to fit just fine:

NonSequitur777_0-1657864172312.png

NonSequitur777_1-1657864255173.png

The Corsair 650 watt would be able to power all of the aforementioned GPUs, as long as they don't need more than two 8-pin PCIe power connectors.

Why don't you research online (Amazon, Newegg, eBay, whatever) and see what you want.  Also, please help me out here to measure your current PSU (LxWxH) because HP doesn't make it particularly easy for me to retrieve this info. Then report back, and we'll figure out how to best approach your Upgrade adventure.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

NonSequitur777's recommendations are spot on, just be sure to buy a tier one name brand power supply such as seasonic/corsair/delta/

skip those 700 watt $29.00 units they are crap and will struggle to even output 400 watts

HP Recommended

I currently got my eye on the Corsair brand. Thanks. I have to measure the current one though.

HP Recommended

Wait why skip the 700 watts when i was recommended the 650W?

HP Recommended

@rhumes13,

What @DGroves meant is to skip cheapo power supplies. A Corsair 650 watt PSU beats a second-tier 700 watt PSU.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.