Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
HP Recommended

and also, what about the fan?

HP Recommended

@rhumes13,

Which fan?  The CPU heat sink fan or the case fan to the right of the CPU heat sink?

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

Dear Forum member, I hope my response was helpful. If it is, consider to click "YES" on the: "Was this reply helpful?" button. If my response answered your question, please indicate as an "Accepted Solution".
HP Recommended

you said something about adding internal cooling because of my ram

HP Recommended

@rhumes13,

Not because of your RAM, but because when you upgrade your CPU -especially if you install an Intel i7-7700K and a higher end GPU, you want to increase air moving through your desktop because of the additional heat produced by said computer components. One way to do that is to upgrade your CPU heat sink fan and the case fan to the right of it.  So, why don't you give me the part number(s) of these fans -or at least their dimensions (in mm), and I will suggest upgrades for them as well.

Look, I have done this sort of upgrading more than a few times and you asked for upgrading options.  I am giving them to you.  I would not be offended in the least if you feel more comfortable to buy a brand new ready-made CTO gaming desktop, so that you don't have to worry about anything.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

Dear Forum member, I hope my response was helpful. If it is, consider to click "YES" on the: "Was this reply helpful?" button. If my response answered your question, please indicate as an "Accepted Solution".
HP Recommended

Oh no i'm not trying to offend you, i just thought it was impossible to upgrade certain parts. Plus I kind of want to learn to build gaming PCs as well.

HP Recommended

@rhumes13,

Understood. -Trust me, there is a lot that can be done to make the 'impossible' possible.

For an Xtreme off-the-reservation HP legacy desktop Upgrade project of mine, please see this thread: Solved: Upgrading HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF - HP Support Community - 8251218 -or even an older HP Elite 8300 USDT desktop upgrade project: Solved: Upgrading HP Compaq Elite 8300 USDT - HP Support Community - 8118827.

I'm not suggesting that you go to this extreme.  As a matter of fact, upgrading your rig is going to be relatively painless, straightforward and above all else: easier.  But make sure, for example, that you feel comfortable installing a different processor -such as how to properly apply CPU heat sink grease. [edit] And while I'm thinking about it, to use a quality heat sink paste such as: ARCTIC MX-2 - Performance Thermal Paste or Noctua NT-H1 Pro-Grade Thermal Compound Paste.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

oh i get it, the i7 7700 comes with the air cooler

HP Recommended

@rhumes13,

No, an i7-7700 is bought as a stand-alone item, I am referring to upgrading the fan on top of your CPU heatsink.  Please go to YouTube and check out how to change a processor in a desktop like yours.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

is this a good power supply?

power supply.jpeg

HP Recommended

My current PSU are about the same measurements at approximately 6IN L x 5IN W X 3.4IN H

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.