Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an OMEN desktop wrongly identified by the serial as an OMEN by HP 875-1000 Obelisk Desktop PC (3VH40AV). Unless it's only id'ing the case which is the same. As far as I can ascertain my system has an HP 84FD Edoras motherboard, with 2x8gb DDR4-2667(1333mhz)  in it's only two, dual channel slots. My question is do I need to fit 2x16gb, or do I have other options.

Many thanks in advance

Lewis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Auldeejit

Considering your Edoras motherboard, it appears that your desktop is more likely an Omen HP Obelisk 875-0014 (OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop PC - 875-0014 Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support), since the Omen 875-1000 series have Shire MBs installed.

Therefore, your desktop supports up to 2 x 16GB DDR4-2666 (PC4-21300) for a total of 32GB of RAM only.

In my experience, in order to achieve best (dual channel) RAM performance, it is preferable for both RAM sticks to be as similar as possible.  Again, in my experience, compared with 'basic' (cheaper) RAM, higher end "Gaming" RAM options does increase performance.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi Auldeejit

Considering your Edoras motherboard, it appears that your desktop is more likely an Omen HP Obelisk 875-0014 (OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop PC - 875-0014 Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support), since the Omen 875-1000 series have Shire MBs installed.

Therefore, your desktop supports up to 2 x 16GB DDR4-2666 (PC4-21300) for a total of 32GB of RAM only.

In my experience, in order to achieve best (dual channel) RAM performance, it is preferable for both RAM sticks to be as similar as possible.  Again, in my experience, compared with 'basic' (cheaper) RAM, higher end "Gaming" RAM options does increase performance.

HP Recommended

hi

@NonSequitur777 wrote:

Hi Auldeejit

HP product inconsistency

I have already mentioned this type of problem, but nothing changes
the problem being that with the reference here, it gives 3VH40AV

OMEN by HP 875-1000 Obelisk Desktop PC

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-obelisk-desktop-pc-875-1000i/25644598/model/38225652...

everything is mixed up so

"My question is do I need to fit 2x16gb, or do I have other options."

do you need more?
Can you confirm the model given or at least try to find it?

Depending on your configuration, use, 32 gb, may be of little use

for example, if it is the same model with gtx 1060 card, not replaced
What do you think you will gain?

your memory is full?

Add RAM

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi Nonsequiter77

Many thanks for the information, it was exactly what I needed and confirms what I figured I'd have to do, ie swap out the two Kingston Fury Hyperx 8gb dimms for two 16gb equivalents. The model you mention is pretty much the same. But spec a little different. ie mine came with an I7 9700F, NVidia GeForce RTX2060 6gb and a 2tb HDD. I have since added a second identical 2tb hdd. I ran the Product ID utility on HPs page but got stuck in a select a country loop. Incidentally Windows 10 IDs the system as an OMEN by HP Obelisk Desktop 875-0XXX

Once again thanks for the assistance.

Lewis

HP Recommended

I simply want to increase the memory so as to have a bit of wiggle room for my flight sims. As mentioned I have tried to ID the model using the serial number. With not a lot of success. The machine was ex display and the manuals had gone missing. Anyway I know know what I needed to know.

Many thanks

Lewis.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.