Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 24-xa All-in-One Desktop PC (4NZ69AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi all

I have a hardware issue with the storage drive (not the Windows SSD drive which is seperate).  It is a Seagate I think ST2000LM007

I can boot into windows fine, diskmanager shows the drive as a healthy partition with a letter but if I run a chkdsk it tells me the partition is Raw.

I reboot to recovery mode and can run chkdsk from command prompt before windows starts and it it seems to get to some 'tricky bits' where the progress slows and then eventually fails. If I then try and re-run chkdsk it again thinks the disk is RAW. 

Wondering if this is a

a) a common experience with disk failure 

b) what the best recovery approach would be (I am out of warranty so I am on my own) - hoping there might be a way to do a 'super chkdsk' or something rather than replace the drive ... but open to that if I must.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You may have one or more uncorrectable sectors.  I have found the software Victoria capable of remapping bad sectors when the drive itself is unable to.  Looking a the S.M.A.R.T history can be useful and can reveal possible heating problem as the highest temps are recorded.  You might consider using the free app "hard drive sentinel"  to monitor performance.

It is possible that Seagate might have a manufacturer warrantee that is still in effect.  Click the following

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Enter the drives serial number into their database to see if it is covered.

If it is covered then download their app as they need confirmation from the app before issuing an RMA

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

You may have one or more uncorrectable sectors.  I have found the software Victoria capable of remapping bad sectors when the drive itself is unable to.  Looking a the S.M.A.R.T history can be useful and can reveal possible heating problem as the highest temps are recorded.  You might consider using the free app "hard drive sentinel"  to monitor performance.

It is possible that Seagate might have a manufacturer warrantee that is still in effect.  Click the following

https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Enter the drives serial number into their database to see if it is covered.

If it is covered then download their app as they need confirmation from the app before issuing an RMA

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Thanks BeemerBiker

I have tried both Seatools and Victoria but it gets to a point where the drive becomes 'unstable' and neither seem to be able to help. I went out and grabbed a new drive and swapped that in and am currently trying to copy a few of the files off that were not in my OneDrive. It is a slow but the majority of files seem to be OK. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.