Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

good luck. I've been searching for a fix for about a year now. The only thing I haven't tried is re-installing Windows... but that would cause me to loose all drivers for programs I've installed. I may not be able to find them all again, as I remember it being a huge hassle. I'd prefer not to go that route. 

HP Recommended

Windows re-installation does not help at all. Did it and the touch screen still does not work at all and is not detected by the system.

@kaj750
HP Recommended

Sounds like an issue with Windows, then. It fails to recognize our touch screen in order to look for the driver. 

Yay.

My next laptop will NOT be an HP. They break and have no fixes. No thanks. 

HP Recommended

Guys,

I don't want to sound negative but - as I said - all symptoms you described point to the the issue with the hardware within the touchscreen, i.e.: digitiser: it became borked and no longer functions correctly. As a result Windows cannot detect it and disables its functionality.

Digitiser / touchscreen itself is connected via one of the internal USB port (I think?). If it starts playing up (so: mystic circles, arrow moving on its own etc.), Windows throws errors in the Event Log of that sort:

Event ID: 264

source: Win32k

level: Warning

general details: "A multi-touch device reported inconsistent contact information"

If I remember correctly, although not sure if that's valid across all HP machines, if one enters BIOS or HP Recovery environment, one can use touchscreen to move between the screens / select items. If you cannot do it there as well, then that's the ultimate proof that your hardware is borked.

HP Recommended

My touch screen works perfectly in test mode (hitting F2 during boot).

Just not after the laptop finishes booting.

HP Recommended

I feel I  should make it clear the touch pad i am talking about is on the front of the printer not the computer.

HP Recommended
  • hitting F2 during boot).

Just not after the laptop finishes booting.[edit]

HP Recommended

T ha n k Y o u F o r P o s t i n g i n HP C o m m u n i t y. [edit]

HP Recommended

Eh bien, vous ne le ferez pas puisque les bot me l'ont envoyé ...! Parlez de contact humain ...

Je vous l'ai maintenant transmise via PM.

HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Community. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To ensure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English. The following links are here to assist you if you prefer to post in the following Language Community.

German: HP Kundenforum
Spanish: Foro de usuarios de HP
French: Forum des utilisateurs
Portuguese: Fórum dos usuários HP
Chinese: 惠普个人客户支持论坛
Korean: HP 지식커뮤니티

Thank you for your understanding.

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.