Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Thin Client T610
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

HP Thin Client Architecture Question

Hello,

This is more of a research question more than anything else as I am interested in some impute from the community on my current predicament.

I have inherited an HP Thin Client Architecture in my job. It ranges from about 100-120 HP Thin Clients.  The majority of them at T610 Models both regular and PLUS Additions.  We also have a small arrangement of T620s.  They all run varying versions of Windows 7 Embedded both 32 and 64 bit OS’s.

Many of these Thin Clients have been in place for several years and are beginning to experience numerous issues. These range from excessively slow boot times, to blue screens, and generally bad performance while using Remote Desktop.  Users who run power point presentations have each slide load in slowly sometimes having the pictures load in line by line.

From what I have read, and understand, our systems are not set up in the recommended fashion for HP Thin Clients. The Enhanced Write Filter has been disabled, for the majority of the time these units have been installed, and the users who use them log in with domain accounts.  This causes the solid-state drives on the system to fill up with User Profiles, which we then have to delete out regularly since the disk drives run out of space.  Our support team has been using our windows update service to bring down updates on these Thin Clients, which often have updates fail repeatedly until someone manually resets the Thin Client.

The Thin Clients that have become slow and unresponsive over time (I assume because the Write-Filter is disabled) do not respond well to reimaging. There is no speed increase after a fresh image is deployed on them and they quickly become unresponsive again.

As these Thin Clients are beginning to become are bigger and bigger issue, my question is this: What can I do to make the best out of this situation?  Is there any chance I can turn this architecture around to help preserve whatever integrity these systems have left?  Is there anything I can do to speed them up?  Is there a better way to be updating these units?

Any thoughts or recommendations are welcome.

Thank you!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.