Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8300 USDT
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Recently I got one of these HP Compaq 8300 USDT from my company, and it is a great HTPC as it is, but when trying to play some 3D games, the integrated intel HD graphics struggles to get high fps. I checked the manuals and the recommended mxm VGA upgrade is the AMD Radeon HD 7650A with HP part number 687445-001.

Anyway, I can not find this VGA at a reasonable price, but some retailers list the same card, with the same GPU  and memory (215-0803043)but a different HP part number  671864-002 as if it was the same (take this ebay seller as an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-671864-002-AMD-Radeon-HD-2GB-MXM-3-0-Video-687445-001-/391508255456?hash=... ). I imagine that they are different revisions of the same card.

So my question is, if I purchase the HP part number 671864-002 will my motherboard recognize it and will I be able to use it in my HP Compaq 8300 USDT?

Is the AMD Radeon HD 7650A the only VGA that I can install in this PC? Or will it be possible to install another MXM 3.0 type a VGA that consumes less than 33watt?

As additional note, power requirements for the 671864-002 should not be a problem as I got the 180W PSU instead of the standard 135W one.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

FYI:

I finally bought the easier to find 671864-002 model and it just works. I installed the drivers from the 8300 USDT driver download page and Windows 10 updated the driver some hours later. So even if it is not listed in the official replacement parts list, it is a safe buy if you have the 180 Power Supply.

The only problem is that it came with a very long laptop heatpipe and that I can not close the case's top cover, but I will replace it with a heatsink.

I have already been doing some intense 3D gaming sessions (2+ hours without pause), and even if my games are not the latest ones (just tried Assassins Creed 3, free on Ubisoft store this month and Batman Arkham Assylum, with a great discount in Bundle Stars) I was able to play at 1080p and Max Settings (No AA) without any problems.

Very happy with the performance of this "low-end" laptop GPU.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Not even HP support agents can answer this question?

HP Recommended

i'm no expert, but if you get no replies here try posting on a dedicated building forum like redditcom/buildapc, tom'shardware, etc

HP Recommended

FYI:

I finally bought the easier to find 671864-002 model and it just works. I installed the drivers from the 8300 USDT driver download page and Windows 10 updated the driver some hours later. So even if it is not listed in the official replacement parts list, it is a safe buy if you have the 180 Power Supply.

The only problem is that it came with a very long laptop heatpipe and that I can not close the case's top cover, but I will replace it with a heatsink.

I have already been doing some intense 3D gaming sessions (2+ hours without pause), and even if my games are not the latest ones (just tried Assassins Creed 3, free on Ubisoft store this month and Batman Arkham Assylum, with a great discount in Bundle Stars) I was able to play at 1080p and Max Settings (No AA) without any problems.

Very happy with the performance of this "low-end" laptop GPU.

HP Recommended

I have 2 of the 8300 USDT's I have the HP7650A in one and a Nvidia  660498-002 out of an HP Envy in my 2nd . It is  better in one way , you can get to the Nvidia setting and control setting as you wish . I am running Windows 10 Insider Preview and get the lastest Builds to try . Windows is getting BETTER !!

HP Recommended

I am looking to add the same card to an Elitedesk 800 g1 usdt and was worried about the part number difference. I can only find the 671864-002 at a reasonable price and it is from an Hp pc so I thought I would give it a shot. I also got a great price on a Quadro k1100m from an Hp Z Book I couldn't resist and am hoping will be ok with nvidia drivers.
I am intrested in your heatsink solutions a the stock part costs the same as the card. It looks like it covers the gpu and its ram, will paste for the gpu and pads for the ram be ok ? I could add another fan from the usb 3.0 header for the cardreader.
I would love to see pics of your solutions.

HP Recommended

I have 4 HP USDT desktops and am running 3 monitors on my #1 used Computer . During my Trail and error days I added cards that worked from different models with no problems at all . Once you add a Dedicated Graphics Card , you probably need to upgrade the power supply . I went overboard with mine and am using a 230W with no problems at all .Your computer says 180W same as mine , I upgaded and installed cards and didn't have a large enough Power Supply .  If you download an (HP Elite 800 G1 USDT) Illustrated Parts & Service Map PDF form it will show every thing in your Computer . Save it for future reference . 

I have found and used  Cards from other HP products with no problems . If you run across any wrong installations , the computer upon powering on with give you codes and Beeps . The above  mentioned PDF with tell you what each code is and what the Recommended Action is . 

I have ordered  cheaper Cards just to get the expensive and sometimes hard to find parts , such as older Graphics Cards with Heat Sinks , aroud $8 - 12 .  

The main thing to watch for is the Chipset # - mine is a Q77- whereas yours is a Q87 . Make sure that the # of pins are the same as yours .Again the PDF file will give you all the specs . Or search futher as I did on things for safety . Crucial upgrade site is a great reference site . The link below should be the PDF for your computer .Just copy and paste in your Browser .

h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03812598
  At this time I don't have any photos of my Mother Board setup, but will take some if needed . Also Youtube has some outstanding (How to video's) 

HP Recommended

Hey thanks, some great tips. I was looking at some other older cards with heatsinks like the amd hd 5450. That is a great option for cheaper parts, I will keep an eye out for bargins.

The Q77 vs Q87 chipset difference, does that affect the mxm slot ? Or is it to do with other component upgrades ? I will definitely be careful though. Thanks again for your concise and informative reply, much appreciated. I will post back how it goes with both cards and drivers.

HP Recommended

I just wanted to add that if you want a way to check System software and Hardware , I found a Great Tool and it's Free . It's "Belarc Advisor" if you don't already have it , give it a try  . It lists everything in and on your computer . Software and Licenses . WiFi speed and connection type . All the devices installed (CPU-RAM-HDD-Network addresses and all the Devices running off of you network ___etc.) It really surprizes me and checks for Much needed updates , but you have to install the missing ones . Or check Windows Update to try and get them automatically . 

HP Recommended

I believe that most all of the HP Compaq USDT models carry pretty much the same parts , but there again keep a check on pin #'s and you can even check compatibility on the web . A lot of the sites that sell parts for these have a list of compatible Devices . I know that I have a Broadcom WiFi Card with Blue Tooth , even though the BT doesn't work the WiFi gets me 300MBPS . I just bought a USB Dongle for the BT. Also you have a mSata slot for an internal SSD Card . I'm buying one next month to add to my 1TB HDD . Good Luck and I hope you find use of the PDF and Belarc Advisor .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.