Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,  

we have the following problem:   Our HP Compaq Elite 8300 computers crashed for unexplainable reasons. We have equipped a complete PC room with this model and the computers crashed arbitrarily (in the login window or at the desktop) without a blue screen or an informative error message. After the crash, the computers restart with the following error message: "Non-system disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready". Only the hard reboot brings the system then again to the start. So far, we have updated the BIOS and tested everything is plugged in correctly. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@NicoDE,

Your asking about a 7 year old system, originally having been around since Windows XP.

Please list the full specs on 1 unit. What was the OS when you got them, and the BIOS level ?

What is the current BIOS level ?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@Wb2001

Hi, 

CPU: Intel Core I5-2400

Memory: 8GB DDR3

BIOS: J01 v02.15 and I upgraded it to J01 v02.33

HP Recommended

@NicoDE,

That is not a licensed BIOS for that model.  It is an HP 8200 BIOS.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

HP Recommended

@NicoDE,

been 2 days. Not visible.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-11 at 09.57.14.jpeg

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen,

Do you have a theory?

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Hi, @wb2001 

Unfortunately, I don't.

If it was just one PC crashing, I would say to remove one of the memory chips and run the PC with one chip in the primary memory slot and if it crashes, remove that one and test with the other chip.

Those kind of random crashes are usually due to a faulty memory module--even if the memory check passes.

But if multiple PC's are doing it...I have no idea.

I have two 8200 Elites and they run fine.

The only time one of them crashed was when a memory chip went out, and I had to go through the above process with four chips to find the bad one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.