Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p7-1519c Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi, I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this but let’s see. So I am adding an AMD Radeon HD7870 GPU into my HP Pavilion P7-1519c desktop.

Specs are:

Joshua-H61-uATX  (stock)

I5 3330 (stock)

8GB single stick DDR3 (stock)

600w PSU (can’t remember the brand but decent)

1TB WD HDD

Coolermaster case to fit GPU and PSU

I know it’s an old card but I got it dirt cheap off a buddy. I have upgraded my PSU due to this GPU requiring more then the stock 300w. I’ve gotten it to boot but whenever I try to install drivers for the card a get a black screen and I hear the GPU fans slow way down when this happens. I have used DDU to uninstall all old drivers. I have enabled legacy mode, I’ve disabled integrated graphics in the bios and as well as disabling the integrated graphics driver in device manager. I’m display cord is plugged into my GPU, I have updated my mobo bios to the most resent version I can find. I’ve tried a few different drivers, older and newer all with the same issue. In device manager it is showing the 7870 as it’s display output. It almost seems like it is trying to change back to using the integrated graphics while installing AMD drivers. What am I missing? Can anyone help?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

hi

HP Compaq Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family 2ADA)

8.20 Rev.A3.7 MBApr 7, 2015Download

do you have this version?
many users have installed different graphics cards with this type of motherboard
There is normally nothing to deactivate anything, except what you have done it seems to me

HP Desktop PCs - Computer Does not Start After Installing a Video Card (Windows 10, 😎 | HP® Custome...
so see to reactivate what you deactivated
Remove the graphics card
Replace graphics card correctly, install with secure boot recommendation
to restart !
Let the computer boot completely
see if the graphics card is recognized in device manager
download a compatible version of the driver, install it
Indicate what happens during the installation, problem or not, the driver installs correctly or not..
What is possible, if nothing to do with the graphics card, unless it is certified working with another computer?
different examples here

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Installing-a-GT1030-graphics-ca...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/No-Signal-GTX-660-ti-not-working-with-a-H-J...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I tried installing the bios you have listed, tried DDU on all three brands of gpus (intel, amd, and nvidia) just to be safe. I predownloaded all drivers available for my gpu and went through each one by one all with the same result, I did DDU in between each one. It starts installing drivers but once the installer says “installing AMD drivers” it will crash causing a black screen and the gpu fans start spinning at minimum speed, after a few seconds the screen turns off then turns back on to a black screen but it has a very slight green hue to it. is this a dead GPU? Link to a video to show what happens. 
https://youtube.com/shorts/JfJ2k6z7Fw4?feature=share

Also, when in safe mode it says that the display adapter is “AMD 7800 series” but in regular boot it says “Microsoft basic display adapter” but in the preferences it says it is located in my PCI x16 slot and is an AMD brand, so it recognizes the card but is running off of a basic display driver.

HP Recommended

I don't know if you checked what I told you
Was the graphics card purchased second hand? has it been tested with another computer?

" tried DDU on all three brands of gpus (intel, amd, and nvidia)"

I do not understand

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.