Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Desktop - M01-F0016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just purchased this device. Documentation is scarce. I want to find out what generation the motherboard slots are from PCIe perspective. I think 3rd generation. User manuals state I can upgrade video beyond the R11 discrete provided with the box. Can anyone provide clarity on this?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Your MB (Erica2) has a B550A chipset.

The general specs for this chipset can be reviewed at this (Link).

This chipset supports PCIe 3.0. The Erica2 MB has a PCIe x16 slot which supports discrete PCIe 3.0 graphics cards.

Regards 

HP Recommended

That helped. Follow up question if I may. The above board card I settled on is an MSI GeForce GTX 1650. The card has a 6 port PCI connector on top but my PS has no power for it directly and there is nothing I can see on the Erica2. If I want to use this above board card do I need to switch out the PS for something with a 6 port PCI to power up the graphics card? If so what PS will fit into this model and give me the required power out to energize the MSI video card?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

HP offers a compatible 400 watt power supply for your PC, Part number-L04618-800 SFF PSU (Link). @wb2001 should be able to confirm if the HP 400 watt PSU has the needed connection. It should have a 6+2 pin PCIe connector.

The 1650 (Link) requires a minimum 300 watt power supply with no additional  PCIe power supply connections per Nvidia's reference card. The MSI Gaming X 4G card (Link) (guessing this is the card you are looking at) does require a six pin connection.

HP is not providing an image of the Erica2 MB. I don't know if there are any other issues which could adversely affect installing a 1650 graphics card in your PC. Verify a dual slot card will fit. Verify the graphics card length works with the MB and chassis.

Regards

HP Recommended

Again helpful. Does this PS have same footprint? Also the MSI GTX1650 has a 4 pin on top of the card not a 6 pin so doubt that would work. Maybe I need to return and start from scratch. Card fits fine. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have never seen a 4 pin PCIe connector on newer graphics cards. MSI specs in my previous Link show a 6 pin connection from the power supply.

I have seen 6 pin, 8 pin, 6+6 pin, 6+8 pin, or 8+8 pin connections.

Regards

HP Recommended

I lied. It’s 6 pin. Wi no 6 pin on MOBO I can take directly from PS. I checked that link but did not get a part that I could order. Seems that the MOBO is powered via a proprietary 4 pin connector right? Are there any other 3rd party PS you know if that would work? If this is going to get too difficult then maybe return and start over?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You need a six pin connection from the power supply.

The 180 watt PSU will not have this.

This HP PC has a proprietary power supply and motherboard.

You can't use retail power supplies in this system.

The 400 watt power supply in my previous post should have this connection. Wait for @wb2001 to confirm this.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz,

Sorry I was late to the dance. Thank you for linking me, so that I got back to you.😁

@HAKADADDY,

I just added your unit to the list, but if I post it, the links update and my spreadsheet gets cleared.

So, here is the last update that I made.  You have the L08660-800 180W.  That is standard part. click on the link,, and follow the information. The spreadsheet is my creation, and has been cross-referenced by looking up all these units.  As tedious as this is, it is needed by so many users.😫

If you install the PSU, can you send a picture of the rear PSU mounting before and after?  If you cut in out, mark it before the cuts. That would help me update the file.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.