Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Desktop PC ProDesk 400 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am looking to purchase a HP Desktop PC ProDesk 400 G3 but want to upgrade the graphics ability with a Saphire Radeon 5830 or something similar.  Not sure if this SFF will allow a full size card to be installed, and, I will need a double 6 pin power plug for this card and not sure if this desktop PSU has a double 6 pin plug free to use for this purpose.  Will appreciate any insight to this...doesn't have to be this particular card (although I have a brand new one sitting here unused) so would look to any advice on fairly inexpensive graphic card choice (under $100 would be good) and that would provide me with HDMI or DVI...need to drive a new 34 inch monitor and would like to stream Netflix or other cable content.  thanks for any help you can provide on this one...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@zipperzz,

Before you leap into a Business class machine, released Q4 2015, re-consider it.

The Maintenance and Service Manual can be found here.  Look at Pg 4 and Pg 20.

The PSU is an special (see pg 4)design, not a standard ATX.  LOW profile ( Pg 20) cards only. 

The PSU does not have a 6pin PCIE connector.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@zipperzz,

Before you leap into a Business class machine, released Q4 2015, re-consider it.

The Maintenance and Service Manual can be found here.  Look at Pg 4 and Pg 20.

The PSU is an special (see pg 4)design, not a standard ATX.  LOW profile ( Pg 20) cards only. 

The PSU does not have a 6pin PCIE connector.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Awesome information, thanks.  Looks like newegg has this care:  HP GeForce GT 730 GFX DirectX 12 N3R90AT 2GB DDR3 PCI Express x8 Low Profile Graphics Card.  Wanted to consider adding an m.2 SSD as well....does the graphics card go into the PCIE 2.0?  Assume the fan on this card is powered by the MB?  May I ask why you suggested I reconsider buying a business class machine?  My goal is to to setup a 6th gen I5 that runs Win 7 well for my SOHO.  My choice needs to drive at least one 34 inch monitor and I would be OK with just one.  The reason I looked to this particular model is because I looked at dozens of models with the 6th gen i5 and found this to be the best price point and hope this model has a great life span and reliability that I have found in HP products in the past.  I also don't absolutely need to add the m.2 SSD either and am looking at a 5 drive external storage device that uses external USB connector and can go off one of the USB 3.0.  Would consider other options if you know of something that is at or below the pricepoint of $673 that I found this one at with 8GB 2133 DDR4 and 256GB SSD...

Regardless of the additional questions, thanks for your help on this!!!

HP Recommended

The GT 730 is a UEFI BIOS card. 

Please verify with seller that the unit has a motherbord with a UEFI BIOS.

While manufactured in 2015, it is bothersome as it has WIN 7.  That usually denotes a lack  of UEFI. 

Yes, GPU cards are PCIEx16 slot.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.