Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 750-167C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Our HP Envy 750-167C came with 12GB RAM (8 GB and 4GB).  Trying to upgrade to 16GB.   Ordered a Crucial 8GB DDR3L-1600 UDIMM to replace the original 4GB one.  Swap it in - system will not recognize it.  System shows 8GB RAM with the original 8GB and the new 8GB  installed.  Remove and replace the original 4GB - boots up with 12GB recognized.  Remove all and only install new Crucial 8GB - system won't boot.  Get a series of warning chimes when trying to boot and never boots.  Replace with original RAM and system boots fine with 12GB RAM.

Have even received a replacement Crucial 8GB.  Same problem. 

Help.  🙂    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

thanks for your reply.  I'm returning the Crucial DIMM to NewEgg.  I've ordered a part match to the Samsung 8GB DIMM that came installed originally in PC (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075YTRT6K/).  If that doesn't work, I'll probably punt and just live with the original 12GB RAM.  🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

hi

Hello
if it works correctly, with the original module, in both memory slots, but not at all with the new one, it is probably incompatible
A module can be defective, even new, but if it has been exchanged and it is the same problem, then, maybe it is not the reference that you need
Did you use the scan? generally no worries ..
Hp only gives as information:

• Amount: 12 GB
  • Speed: PC3L-12800 MB/s
  • Type: DDR3L-1600

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two 240-pin DDR3L DIMM sockets
  • Supports the following:
    • PC3L-12800 (DDR3L-1600)
    • PC3L-10600 (DDR3L-1333)
  • Supports 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    note:
    32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 16 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers

Replace the original module, and check the specs with this, and try to buy the same :

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

thanks for your reply.  Read all of the specs before ordering.  The new 8GB DIMM that the system will not recognize is PC3L-12800 (DDR3L-1600) - per HP's own documentation.  The system is 64-bit so, per specs, should support up to 16GB.  Both Crucial's and NewEgg's RAM recommendation tools recommend this Crucial DIMM as compatible with the 750-167c.  System won't recognize it.  If there isn't a way to get the system to recognize it, I guess I really need a specific 8GB brand/model recommendation that will work with this system.  thanks again for your reply!  

HP Recommended

Do they offer you only one type of module?
Crucial modules are often ok
Bad luck, both are faulty, but I doubt it a little
or they do not suit your computer
An update of the bios, could perhaps solve this, but no certainty, and it can be risky
Try to contact crucial to see if there isn't another add-on you can try!
Otherwise, the best would be to do the tests at a professional

unless  see if the HP module is available, it may be more expensive

[edit]

698651-154   Il n'est pas possible de commander cette pièce : HP Part Partners peut vous aider. Cliquez ici.  
Memory - 8GB, PC3-12800, CL11, dPC  
RoHS: COMPLY_2.07

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

thanks for your reply.  I'm returning the Crucial DIMM to NewEgg.  I've ordered a part match to the Samsung 8GB DIMM that came installed originally in PC (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075YTRT6K/).  If that doesn't work, I'll probably punt and just live with the original 12GB RAM.  🙂

HP Recommended

Received Samsung 8GB DIMM.  Installed in 5 minutes in place of factory 4GB DIMM.  Boot up PC.  16GB recognized RAM.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.