Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We've had a couple of HP EliteDesk 800 G4 with failed drives.   They failed bad enough that the systems will not POST with them connected, once removed the system does POST.  The drives that shipped with the systems are m.2 256GB SATA drives.

We tried to replace the drive with a WD m.2 256GB SATA drive but it had the same effect.

After reading this post:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/setup-m2-sata-for-hp-elitedesk-...

The post states that the 800 G4 only supports NVMe.  So based on that, we tried a m.2 256GB NVMe drive and it worked!

But what I'm confused about is that this PC shipped with a SATA drive and worked for some time but then failed. 

But will only work again when the drive is replaced with a NVMe drive.  

Please help, so confused. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

sata drive you meant 2.5"  drive not m.2 card drive.

check the RTC coin cell battery  over 2.9vdc good.

sounds like PC is dropping NVRAM configs and battery issues, even marginal batteries do not belong here.

what drive be specific, even make and models and form factors matter. and m.2 drives are tricky no lie that.

But what I'm confused about is that this PC shipped with a SATA drive ?and worked for some time but then failed.

But will only work again when the drive is replaced with a NVMe drive.

M.2 drives do fail, seen it me, 100% totally dead.

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.