Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So - I'm in the same boat.  All was good and I the chipset was idetnified for me - but mine never completes the read or write.   Sometimes it seems to get closer than others.    it almost seems like it needs more juice or power.  I used the cheapest UNO R3 card I could find on Amazon (Elegoo).

HP Recommended

It might not have enough power.  I suggest a raspberry PI instead.  The newer models provide more power than before.

I will be doing the same thing in about a week.  Got my Ubuntu VM ready all ready to go, just waiting for Rpi order to come in.  Will post back results.

HP Recommended
Hey mate, same thing happened to me with the 3.3v. As soon as I switched to 5v it worked.
HP Recommended
When I try 3.3v it can't even find the chip. I have also tried 5v, which gets me closer, but still stalls. I even tried powering the motherboard with the pc's power supply, it still stalls out and never comes back.

This happens using two different laptops to run the arduino, and on two of the same motherboard.

Is it possible there is an issue with the arduino, or since I'm running Linux on a virtual machine through Windows, could Windows be doing something to interrupt the connection? The Arduino I'm using is an Inland Uno R3. Is there a price/quality ratio with Arduino?

Thanks
HP Recommended

Thank you everyone for the detailed help.  I've restored our customer's Envy using the Raspberry Pi.  It was a lot of work, research and wiring, and it finally paid off.

Helpful links (in addition to the ones already mentioned).  Only for Raspberry Pi, sorry to those who have the Arduino, no experience with it.

http://pinout.xyz/resources/raspberry-pi-pinout.png

https://www.ghostlyhaks.com/forum/macbook/207-flashrom-install-on-a-raspberry-pi

Important! You will need either a Pi that comes with the OS or have a micro SD card and reader to download the OS onto afterwards.

The Pi is highly recommended for this, simply because there are no VMs to mess with, as that adds another layer to troubleshoot if things go wrong.

Good luck to all.

HP Recommended
I tried this with a pi, it didn't work with 3.3v, and I fried the pi when I switched it to 5v. Can you describe how you hooked it up, and whether you used 3 or 5v?
HP Recommended

For me, it worked just fine using 3.3V.

The Pi's pinout is very confusing, at least to me.

When referring to the bottom row of pins, I mean the row closest to the SD card slot, or the center of the PI.

HP-RRheader.png

Basically connect them all like for like, except for the bottom left CS which connects to CE0 on the Pi.  Have a look at the first link I posted above and under SPI0.  Only the GND is outside of that area. 

Does your flashrom detect the spi device in the Pi?

@Underwater_Man wrote:
I tried this with a pi, it didn't work with 3.3v, and I fried the pi when I switched it to 5v. Can you describe how you hooked it up, and whether you used 3 or 5v?

HP Recommended
It gives me a no eeprom device found error.
HP Recommended

Are you sure it's connected exactly as above? 

If so, it could be the chip that's fried.

Try to start from scratch with flashrom and use the 2nd link I posted to make sure you have all those dependencies it needs.

HP Recommended

I have an Envy 23-d129 and I'm not sure where to obtain a bios file from. The one from HP comes as an executable. Can I exract the rom from that? Sorry for the noob question. 

The fact that I actually got my Rasp Pi To read the old BIOS is nothing short of a miracle, but now to the next step.  Any help will be greatly appreciated

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.