Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Certainly can. Open the executable on another computer. Run it, wait for it to fail. Then go to c:\Swsetup\spXXXXX (forget the exact Softpaq number). The file you want will have an extension of .rom

You can rename it whatever you like.
HP Recommended
Anyone have an issue where after the recovery, the BIOS settings keep resetting to default at every boot? I suspect it has to do with the serial numbers and other data not present. I tried the usual programming tools (nbdmifit etc) to no avail. I know these tools usually only support business grade notebooks but I gave it a go anyway. No dice.
HP Recommended
Sure it's not a dead cmos battery? I haven't had any issues with the bios resetting.
HP Recommended

New battery, voltage checks out too.  One solder joint in the back probably came loose from messing with it so much.  I'm done with it though.  Runs well otherwise.  I managed to program all the SKUs and what not with SMBCFG - great tool.  

One other thing to note, at least for me.  The Intel ME disappeared completely after this process.  Not the end of the world, but FYI.

HP Recommended

MUCH love! 😄

Succesfully ressurrected a Pavilion 23 AIO 23-b006es. All is well again

Was getting a bit nervous when writing the new rom as it took 37 minutes. But no need to worry.

Big ups!

HP Recommended
Great News. Did you write bios through Arudino or Raspberry PI. The Arudino with VM hasn't worked for me - so I was gonna by a Raspberry PI
HP Recommended

IT WORKED!!

• I ended up buying a Raspberry Pi  (which is a nice new gadget to have) and used that to do the reading and writing of the flash chip.  I didn't have the jumper cables that would work with the Pi - so I ended up using both the Raspberry Pi and Arudino.     I think my problems were with security around the Virtual Box of Ubuntu - so having Ubunto on the Pi directly to the Arudino seemed to help. 

• Even after I "wrote the new" BIOS and was succesful - i was so stressed that my machine didn't come on.  I was able to throw it away for good -- and then decided to re-insert the CMOS battery and move the Recovery Pin (I had lost track which 2 pins it was supposed to cover).    It ended up that I had the CMOS battery backwards or the recvoery Pin in wrong place.   Possibly both were issues - but the machine did start back up!

Many Thanks to PhoneixForce and Oxide for all of your help!!

I wrote up some details that I used on my site at: https://marcusstouffer.com/2016/11/25/raspberry-pi-and-arduino-uno-r3-to-manually-flash-hp-envy-bios...

HP Recommended

Thath's great.  I bet this recovery works on any HP desktop that has the recovery port too.  Hopefully they will continue to build them that way.

HP Recommended

Hi. Which Raspberry Pi did you get? There seems to be different kinds. I am trying to flash the BIOS using a cheap Arduino UNO R3 compatible board but it gets stuck at reading the flash contents and just sits there.

Thanks

HP Recommended

This one here.

https://www.buyapi.ca/product/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-armv8-with-1g-ram/

I believe they all have the same pinouts though.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.