Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question
HP Envy 23 AIO: No Beep, Screen Blank, No USB
Replies (41)

Top Student
Message 31 of 42 (5,755 Views)

Re: HP Envy 23 AIO: No Beep, Screen Blank, No USB

Certainly can. Open the executable on another computer. Run it, wait for it to fail. Then go to c:\Swsetup\spXXXXX (forget the exact Softpaq number). The file you want will have an extension of .rom

You can rename it whatever you like.
Top Student
Message 32 of 42 (5,752 Views)

Anyone have an issue where after the recovery, the BIOS settings keep resetting to default at every boot? I suspect it has to do with the serial numbers and other data not present. I tried the usual programming tools (nbdmifit etc) to no avail. I know these tools usually only support business grade notebooks but I gave it a go anyway. No dice.
Intern
Message 33 of 42 (5,703 Views)

Sure it's not a dead cmos battery? I haven't had any issues with the bios resetting.
Top Student
Message 34 of 42 (5,699 Views)

[ Edited ]

New battery, voltage checks out too.  One solder joint in the back probably came loose from messing with it so much.  I'm done with it though.  Runs well otherwise.  I managed to program all the SKUs and what not with SMBCFG - great tool.  

One other thing to note, at least for me.  The Intel ME disappeared completely after this process.  Not the end of the world, but FYI.

Student
Message 35 of 42 (5,623 Views)

MUCH love! :D

Succesfully ressurrected a Pavilion 23 AIO 23-b006es. All is well again

Was getting a bit nervous when writing the new rom as it took 37 minutes. But no need to worry.

Big ups!

Top Student
Message 36 of 42 (5,615 Views)

Great News. Did you write bios through Arudino or Raspberry PI. The Arudino with VM hasn't worked for me - so I was gonna by a Raspberry PI
Top Student
Message 37 of 42 (5,542 Views)

[ Edited ]

IT WORKED!!

• I ended up buying a Raspberry Pi  (which is a nice new gadget to have) and used that to do the reading and writing of the flash chip.  I didn't have the jumper cables that would work with the Pi - so I ended up using both the Raspberry Pi and Arudino.     I think my problems were with security around the Virtual Box of Ubuntu - so having Ubunto on the Pi directly to the Arudino seemed to help. 

• Even after I "wrote the new" BIOS and was succesful - i was so stressed that my machine didn't come on.  I was able to throw it away for good -- and then decided to re-insert the CMOS battery and move the Recovery Pin (I had lost track which 2 pins it was supposed to cover).    It ended up that I had the CMOS battery backwards or the recvoery Pin in wrong place.   Possibly both were issues - but the machine did start back up!

Many Thanks to PhoneixForce and Oxide for all of your help!!

I wrote up some details that I used on my site at: https://marcusstouffer.com/2016/11/25/raspberry-pi-and-arduino-uno-r3-to-manually-flash-hp-envy-bios...

Top Student
Message 38 of 42 (5,531 Views)

Thath's great.  I bet this recovery works on any HP desktop that has the recovery port too.  Hopefully they will continue to build them that way.

Student
Message 39 of 42 (5,242 Views)

Hi. Which Raspberry Pi did you get? There seems to be different kinds. I am trying to flash the BIOS using a cheap Arduino UNO R3 compatible board but it gets stuck at reading the flash contents and just sits there.

Thanks

Top Student
Message 40 of 42 (5,230 Views)

This one here.

https://www.buyapi.ca/product/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-armv8-with-1g-ram/

I believe they all have the same pinouts though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation