Tutor
11 10 0 1
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 27 All-in-one (2016) replacement GPU board

HP ENVY All-in-One - 27-b155qd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I noticed from the following link that the HP Envy 27 All-in-one (2016) has the NVIDIA GTX 950M GPU mounted on a removable board, rather than soldered permanently onto the motherboard:

http://h22235.www2.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizenship/environment/productdata/Countries/_MultiCountry/d...

Is it possible to replace the NVIDIA GTX 950M GPU board with a newer GPU, like the NVIDIA GTX 1050?

7 REPLIES 7
Provost Provost
Provost
44,906 40,592 4,392 11,363
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No.

Your AIO PC uses an M.2 discrete GPU board. That is a rare beast indeed. The only compatible card at this time is the

904730-001Graphics Card - nV GTX950M, 4GB, Schumi
If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

Drawffy Tutor
Tutor
11 10 0 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Erico, tried looking up web articles on M.2 discrete GPU board, but couldn't find anything.

Is this a new M.2 GPU standard?

Will other PC makers start to adopt M.2 GPU boards?

It does seem like a good solution to allow laptops and all-in-one PCs to upgrade their GPUs in future.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Drawffy wrote:

Thanks Erico, tried looking up web articles on M.2 discrete GPU board, but couldn't find anything.

Is this a new M.2 GPU standard?

Will other PC makers start to adopt M.2 GPU boards?

It does seem like a good solution to allow laptops and all-in-one PCs to upgrade their GPUs in future.

I just asked HP about it.  It is the weekend, so I don't know how fast they will let me know.

I am pretty certain that it is not an M.2 adapter. Even NASA's Quality Assurance isn't perfect.  😉

The keying on the slot looks more like the mini PCIe standard than a B,M or B+M key  M.2 specification.

Your PC does have a plenty of interface slots and ports. It has two M.2 slots and the video adapter slot. One for the SSD and the second for a WLAN module. That is pretty impressive.

If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
Drawffy Tutor
Tutor
11 10 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It seems likely that the new HP Envy 34 Curved All-in-one will also have the same GPU adaptor slot as the HP Envy 27 All-in-one.

Hopefully in the future HP or another vendor launches a latest generation NVIDIA GPU board, would be great to be able to upgrade the GPU on the HP Envy 27 🙂

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Drawffy wrote:

It seems likely that the new HP Envy 34 Curved All-in-one will also have the same GPU adaptor slot as the HP Envy 27 All-in-one.

Hopefully in the future HP or another vendor launches a latest generation NVIDIA GPU board, would be great to be able to upgrade the GPU on the HP Envy 27 🙂

It sure would. HP would definitively be  riding the edge of technology.

I should find out something about it later on or the next week or so. 

0 Kudos
Drawffy Tutor
Tutor
11 10 0 1
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Erico, did you find out anything further about the GPU adaptor slot and removal GPU boards for the HP Envy 27 All-in-one?

Provost Provost
Provost
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had a pretty long list of questions to ask HP at the HP Expert Meetup in Portland. I did not get a response that provided any more information on this specific issue than we have discussed so far.

It appears that the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 950M (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated) is as good as it gets, for now anyway.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation