Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 34-A010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am wishing to upgrade the hard drive in my new Envy AIO since it came with only a 5400rpm drive to a hybrid 7200rpm. I have read from previous posts that it is difficult due to the location of the drive sitting behind the curved monitor and to access it you have to remove it. I also have watched a video on someone doing this but they didn't mention how they were able to over come the strong adhesive that attaches the bevel to the monitor without breaking the screen. Is there a documented way to remove the bevel without force?

This seems to be a poor engineering design for hard drive replacement or upgrades as well as memory grades where you have to go a step furhter and remove the motherboard since the RAm is located on the back side with no access.

I am a computer engineer and very hardware savy and am very concerned about opening up the system to upgrade the hard drive.

Any suggestions for removing the bevel safely would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @sghinkle,

Good day. May the forums welcome you! 🙂 Hope you are doing well. 🙂 I understand clearly that you need assistance with disassembling the AIO.  I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂

Great diagnosis and troubleshooting. 🙂 Fabulous assessment of the situation before posting your query. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and I take it as a special privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 It is paramount to assist you:)

I understand the situation clearly and respect the fact that you are a computer technician. I have included a YouTube video on the AIO disassembly and another generic video about AIO disassembly.

Please check these links out. Please do not click on any link, image, download or adds as it is a third party site.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-w23jlUVI

Link 2: this is another video that might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RvggCtXzHc

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you .:)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.  🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family:)  Take care.:)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @sghinkle,

Good day. May the forums welcome you! 🙂 Hope you are doing well. 🙂 I understand clearly that you need assistance with disassembling the AIO.  I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂

Great diagnosis and troubleshooting. 🙂 Fabulous assessment of the situation before posting your query. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and I take it as a special privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 It is paramount to assist you:)

I understand the situation clearly and respect the fact that you are a computer technician. I have included a YouTube video on the AIO disassembly and another generic video about AIO disassembly.

Please check these links out. Please do not click on any link, image, download or adds as it is a third party site.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX-w23jlUVI

Link 2: this is another video that might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RvggCtXzHc

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you .:)

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.  🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family:)  Take care.:)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

David,

Thank you for the response and warm welcome. The video I refereneced in my original post was the same video suggested as link (first link). The poster doesn't cover in detail how he successfully removed the bevel other than using a credit card to shimmy inbetween. The rubber glue adhesive is very thick and strong. Is there no support documentation for hard drive replacement or RAM upgrades? The specs say it maxs out at 16 but yet comes installed standard with 12.  Is the a technician level repair document somewhere that can be accessed or share? I'm afraid to even take this to my local Best Buy store to have them upgrade the hard drive. Not a cheap device to replace and I don't believe there are any replacement screens to buy if cracked.

Looking for experience recommendations to removing the bevel from the screen. In the video, all other steps seem relatively easy.

HP Recommended

Hi @sghinkle,

I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. I have done a lot of research and proper documentation to separate the gumming is not available. I would request you to contact your Local Best Buy technician to check it out. However, the RAM and HDD are upgradeable as you rightly pointed out.

I truly hope the situation is corrected and things pan out great for you. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you work with you. 🙂

Do take care, stay healthy. keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Wanted to provide an update to the upgrade process. I have successfully completed the process. It definitely took sometime and care. To over come the the strong adhesive, I used a blow dryper on medium heat setting. I did this slowly over the bevel area and carefully pried the bevel away as the adhesive became soft.  Once the bevel was removed, I was able to gain easy access to the the screen mounting screws and was able to remove.

- As a step to aide in future upgrades or replacement of hard drives, RAM, and possinle M.2 Drive Installation, I removed some of the adhesive stripping to ease bevel removal. I haven't noticed any real purpose why there is so much adhesive tape to begin with as the bevel is one of those snap in place ones too.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.