Level 1
5 3 0 2
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

HP Envy 700-330qe system shutdown when using GPU

HP Recommended
HP Envy 700-330qe
Linux

I installed an MSI graphics card with the Nvidia Rtx 2060 Super GPU in my ancient HP Envy 700-330qe.  I am running Ubuntu 20.04 and it took a lot of effort to get the right Nvidia driver, CUDA and CUDNN installed.  I am not 100% certain I have all the correct drivers, but it has been running fine for most programs, including some graphics programs that drive the GPU power consumption into the 165W range (as reported by nvidia-smi).  

The trouble occurs when I load a large array (20000x20000) into the GPU memory for numerical computation.  This size array should fit into the GPU memory with room to spare.  The computer shutdowns immediately and reboots.  It functions fine after reboot unless I try to load that same array into the GPU.  If I load a 10000x10000 array it seems to work fine -- it gives a speedup of almost 75x for simple matrix product with not too much numerical error.  I am using MATLAB's parallel computing toolbox for the GPU computation. 

The 2060 Super spec says that it needs a 550W PSU.  I have the original 500W PSU from HP.  I had assumed that it would have at least 10% margin so it would not have an issue.  Is this issue of sudden power shutdown and reboot definitively an indication that the PSU is having trouble supplying enough current?  i.e. Is it likely that  a new beefier PSU (say 750W) will solve this problem?  Or are there other troubleshooting steps I should first take?

If I do get a new PSU, what should I get?  Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation