Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 795-0030qd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried adding a second HD to this very new configuration (no user manual yet) and appears it requires additional tray caddy/bay adapter/bracket.  Which one do I need?

Any suggestion/advice is welcome. Many thanks! 

HP.jpg

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Greetings Savism,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

It may be best to contact HP Support for a definitive answer to your question unless someone else in the forum has had experience with this product.

The 795 is a new product. Information provided by HP on this PC is very thin at this time.

No motherboard image or configurable purchase options are shown at the HP Support site for your product..

So I have to ask you some questions:

1. Do you have unused SATA ports, which can be used to add additional SATA storage devices, available on the MB?

2. You are asking about adding a 3.5 inch HDD adapter. Does this suggest you now only have one 3.5 inch HDD bay, which is occupied, in the chassis? It may not be possible to add an additional 3.5 inch cage.

Your PC's motherboard does have an M.2 socket which can be used to add an M.2 NVME,  PCIe 3x4 drive for additional, quicker storage. This stick drive can be used as the boot drive. Using this stick drive as the boot drive will increase system performance.

Regards

HP Recommended

HP Support was not very helpful (could not get any information out of them). 😞 

Currently, I only have 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD and wanted to add a second SATA disk. Yes, there is room for 3 additional drives, but housing/cage appears to be big for my HD so it requires some adapter/caddy/bay.

What would be an appropriate one for this configuration?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi Savism,

You're very welcome.

Okay. So you can add additional drives.

A typical HDD is 3.5 inches. So this type of storage device should fit.

You would need a 3.5 inch to 2.5 inch HDD mounting bracket if you are looking at installing 2.5 inch SSDs.

I have used these mounting brackets in the past on HP systems with good results. HP may have modified the HDD cage on newer systems. But the brackets should work.

Amazon has some choices.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Savism,

I could not see the image until now.

HP has modified the HDD cage.

Checked HP Part Surfer for any HDD brackets or adapters but nothing at all is available for your product. Your PC has just been released by HP. Not much information and no replacement components available at HP Part Surfer.

Is the HDD cage a swivel out compartment?

Are there any screw mount points on the back or front of the cage which can be used to attach the HDD to the cage?

The image is good but without being there to examine what you have it is hard to see what is going on.

I guess HP would have provided the adapter (if one is needed) if you had added a second HDD or SSD at purchase.

Sorry, I have never worked with this chassis. HP Support or a forum member with hands-on experience is your best bet at this point.

Regards

HP Recommended

Yes, HDD cage is a door that can open up (swivel), and there is no place for any crews like in my previous HPs.  HD is too small for the opening. It needs to be placed in some kind of adapter/caddy and slide in until it locks. There is a release plastic latch underneath.  The question still remains, what is the right type of adapter for this configuration.

I made few calls to HP tech support and sadly they went out of their way not to help or provide ANY information. 😞 

HP Recommended

Hi Savism,

I will notify a moderator to see if any assistance can be provided. No guarantees.

It is impossible to know what you have without having physical access to the device.

From looking at your image it looks like a HDD may work in the top bay with an adapter. Maybe two SSDs can be installed in the bottom bay.

I see some possible screw holes in the bottom bay frame. Are there any screw holes in the top bay frame that may line up with the mount points on the bottom of the HDD?

Have you determined if the plastic latch allows removal of part of the HDD cage? Maybe you can attach the side of the HDD to this removable component. Then slide the component back into the HDD cage. The HDD would now be mounted vertically in the HDD cage.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank You!

Here is the closer view of the upper hard drive cage. On the right side is a DVD.

HP 2.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi Savism,

You're very welcome.

I can't see the image. It takes a while for HP Moderators to approve.

I forgot to give you a link to the HP Services Media Library. This Library contains service, technical, and upgrade procedures for many HP products.

Your PC is not listed because it is so new.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Savism

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.